Holy grail SPS?

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a "holy grail" of SPS?

Not talking about the latest high end SPS you can own if you have enough money, I am talking about so rare and hard to come by Bill Gates couldn't get an inch of it!

Is there one? [emoji1]

OP
OP
Mark75

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A legit purple monster is really the only one I can think of that is harder to find and grow since it's an extremely slow grower.

That one came to mind when I asked this question. Several years ago when I was keeping a reef tank it seems the purple monster was popular and not all that difficult to get a frag of, no more difficult than any other slow grower. Now it seems very rare,...is there a story to explain this?

Joshky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With enough money I think you can get a hold of anything that's aquacultured to any extent.

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the Greg Carroll Ultimate Efflo? I heard that was a real hard SPS to come by.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Battle Corals Fairy Food for $1,000,000. LoL

https://battlecorals.com/products/fairy-food
Corals like this, look brown from a distance.

Not to sound sour, but what do people see in rainbow colored SPS? They are cool close up, but the color contrast falls short of eye popping from a distance.

Personally, if you want to get attention on a tank, just go for the primary colors and place them strategically.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree placing nice colored acros in a group has more impact, but there are some old school rainbow acros are nice from a distance like Vivids Rainbow or Ultimates Rainbow acro.

A nice granulosa, no specific name, usually have 3-4 different hues or colors.

I'd concur though that most of what's new, last 5 years or so, I'd hardly call a rainbow acro unless you can buy a magnifying glasss to go with it.

For me "holy grail" are usually pieces I've admired for years or in the past long gone......some have names and some I just identify by colors and are rarely seen anymore or gone and never seen again......price is seldom the dividing line.

Like Cward's Milli--

Cward%20milli%20closeup_zpsqeyrfezl.jpg

cward%20milli%20colony_zpsksfv4hw5.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree placing nice colored acros in a group has more impact, but there are some old school rainbow acros are nice from a distance like Vivids Rainbow or Ultimates Rainbow acro.

I'd concur though that most of what's new, last 5 years or so, I'd hardly call a rainbow acro unless you can buy a magnifying glasss to go with it.

For me "holy grail" are usually pieces I've admired for years or in the past long gone......some have names and some I just identify by colors and are rarely seen anymore or gone and never seen again......price is seldom the dividing line.

Like Cward's Milli--

I've never seen this one. What did it look like under blues?

OP
OP
Mark75

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Big E ,....I was hoping this topic would bring out some lesser known beauties and you delivered! Can you give us some more info on this Milli, I am pretty sure I have never seen it.:)

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like Cward's Milli--

This is a beautiful piece! Is it yours?

rovster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink panther.....good luck finding a piece of that one. Those that have is not likely to share because it grows so slow takes years to get to a respectable size then who would want to hack that up lol. Same boat as purple monster just a little more elusive....

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2016-08-03-15-07-21.png
Voltron milli, ben around for about 3 years but guarentee bill gates cant get a frag lol. Just a tiny handfull people aquired it, and apparently grows slow. The most expensive acro to date. Rainbow millis do look brown from a far but not this one

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2016-08-03-15-07-21.png
Voltron milli, ben around for about 3 years but guarentee bill gates cant get a frag lol. Just a tiny handfull people aquired it, and apparently grows slow. The most expensive acro to date. Rainbow millis do look brown from a far but not this one

Boy does that algae stand out.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Boy does that algae stand out.
Lol whats even worse is my tangs throw this and another frag that has it around the tank every single day. Believe it or not, the reason i even took this picture was because it landed on the rack that way lol!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you @Big E ,....I was hoping this topic would bring out some lesser known beauties and you delivered! Can you give us some more info on this Milli, I am pretty sure I have never seen it.:)

Cwards TOTM in 2006 on RC. He shut the tank down when he moved and I think kept some pieces for a new tank. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he lost a smaller version of what he had. He's not active now.

I know a handful of reefers from that area and it's somewhat local to me..............I haven't done any recent follow ups, as my first attempts came up empty.

Cwards%20milli%203_zps6tqb8ss6.jpg

This is a beautiful piece! Is it yours?

I wish.....that's why it's one of my Holy Grails

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of these these days I'm hoping to get a frag of the pearlberry into my sps system. Every one of them I see after they've grown out are so amazing!

Btw, forest fire digita are cool with the blue and reddish orange coloring.

Cheers,
Alex

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back