Holy mother of god

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that the spines have any red tufts. That seems to be just a trick of the blue lighting. Under whites, you'd be able to see a bit better, but I make out white tufts coming out of red spots on the skin which to me is just the blue lights making the pink bristleworm skim appear more red.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that the spines have any red tufts. That seems to be just a trick of the blue lighting. Under whites, you'd be able to see a bit better, but I make out white tufts coming out of red spots on the skin which to me is just the blue lights making the pink bristleworm skim appear more red.
I believe that is true. Next time I will flip everything to white light, just got caught up in the moment. The video I posted above I think maybe is a little better

IMG_3238.jpeg

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I believe that is true. Next time I will flip everything to white light, just got caught up in the moment. The video I posted above I think maybe is a little better

IMG_3238.jpeg
It’s red with a wide body. Everybody making me feel crazy. Exactly what I had in my emergency tank that took a bite out of an anthia, twice.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really started it now. Reefer disagreements are always interesting

The age old holy war of Bristle va fireworm.

In all seriousness I appreciate everyone’s feedback. This forum is awesome and full of helpful people.

I realize those photos could have been clearer .

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in this case, we definitely need a clear white light pic. I can’t see the video that was posted, but that definitely looks like a fireworm to me as well given the current pic. I’ve pulled 3 from my tank that came with the KP rock.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in this case, we definitely need a clear white light pic. I can’t see the video that was posted, but that definitely looks like a fireworm to me as well given the current pic. I’ve pulled 3 from my tank that came with the KP rock.
Interesting. This is KP rock right in front (although I don’t blame them, have to blame the ocean)

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is a regular bristleworm. When they get large, some species flatten out like that. They also have cheatea (white bristles) emanating from their parapodium.

This is a fire worm, H. carrunculata as you can see, it is NOT what is in his tank.

1000007254.jpg

...and this is a regular, run of the mill bristleworm, like he has in his tank:

1000007255.jpg

Tag @vetteguy53081 all you want. He'll tell you exactly what I just did.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since I overfeed my tangs, I can verify that it’s a bristleworm. They can very in color from front to back. Babies usually are pink. I use a long bamboo plant support to cull them. You just poke it and it’ll wrap around the stick and lift out. I actually study with magnifying lens and see all features. Just lift a rock with a net handy and you’ll collect much more.
BTW, if you picked him out, he’d squish himself to about 3” and fat!
Debra

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the party here, but that’s most definitely an ordinary bristle worm. I’ve had a few that were even bigger. Luckily no fire worms yet.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the left side of the worm in pic one, it looks like it has the red tufts on the top, but not the bottom; if you look at the left side of the worm in pic two, it doesn't seem to have any red tufts; in pic three it looks like it has red tufts everywhere.

So, looking closer at the first couple of pics again, it looks like the "red" patches are actually just parts of the worm/the worm's parapodia (the "feet" where the bristles come out) that are shaded or blurred somewhat in the pics (possibly by the worm moving and the camera struggling to decide if it should focus on the worm or the rock behind it).

So, I'm inclined to believe it's a regular bristleworm.

Regardless, white light pics would help settle any debate on the matter.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Le
If you look at the left side of the worm in pic one, it looks like it has the red tufts on the top, but not the bottom; if you look at the left side of the worm in pic two, it doesn't seem to have any red tufts; in pic three it looks like it has red tufts everywhere.

So, looking closer at the first couple of pics again, it looks like the "red" patches are actually just parts of the worm/the worm's parapodia (the "feet" where the bristles come out) that are shaded or blurred somewhat in the pics (possibly by the worm moving and the camera struggling to decide if it should focus on the worm or the rock behind it).

Let it be known that I said the exact same thing, but it came out as "Me no see red tufty tufties, me see white. Red stuff not tufty tufties!!" Which translates to your entire second paragraph. But I still tip my cap to you, sir.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, here’s links to a couple of the Fireworms I had:

That’s where I was leaning fireworm. Almost looks like two different worms to me between the first and third pics. But yea, could just be a play with the lighting/focus

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The age old holy war of Bristle va fireworm.

In all seriousness I appreciate everyone’s feedback. This forum is awesome and full of helpful people.

I realize those photos could have been clearer .
Next, ask them about QT protocol and water change schedule. Watch the fireworks

fostera8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about these? I took these out of my 20 gallon about a week ago, they're living in a little dollar tree cup for now. Either way, they're definitely not going back in. There's another huge one under my pistol shrimps rock, I'm going to get that one out soon too.
1000009685.jpg
1000009689.jpg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next, ask them about QT protocol and water change schedule. Watch the fireworks
Hey now, what's your agenda, fella? Stoking the flames are we?

Everyone knows water changes are optional.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back