Next, ask them about QT protocol and water change schedule. Watch the fireworks
war GIF

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bristleworm vs fireworm debate is rarely productive. There is an absolutely massive variety of polychaete worms that end up in our tanks, and many of them are very hard to tell apart. There are quite a few variety of wider bodied polychaetes with rusty colored tufts. The vast majority of them are completely reef safe detritivores. If you want to practice an abundance of caution you can remove. IMO it is not a fireworm (darker bodies with brighter white and much brighter red tufts), but it's trickier than most people let on to exactly tell the difference between fireworms and certain very similar looking polychaetes

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do over feed slightly, but not to epic proportions. This was nuts when this thing popped out- wasn’t expecting them to get this big.

I do have Melanurus wrasse, but he goes to sleep after 5:30 most days
Remember that these worms are similar to earthworms... Have you ever tried to bait a fishhook? That 5 inch worm shrinks itself down to 2 inches and then stretches back out to 7 or 8, lol.
Bristleworms often "stretch their necks out" from under a rock so that their entire body isn't exposed to predators.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tag vetteguy. I don’t know how to do it. This is not a run of the mill bristleworm. You can see the red. Regular bristleworms do not have these.
This is false. As Cthulukelele said above, not all worms with some red are fireworms.
And I'll add, the bad kind of fireworms (the ones that eat coral) are 1. not that common in our tanks, and 2. don't hide until you feed the tank and aren't nocturnal like the harmless ones.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bearded fireworm found in the Gulf of Mexico and nearby parts of the Atlantic. You can clearly see the difference from the vast majority of worms we see in our tanks.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing. I added a few tiny baby bisstleworms from ipsf first week in Jan. This is about 50x the size. Although could have been a hitchhiker on some live rock
Hi! I've tried to place an order with IPSF for months now with no reply. Are they still in business? Thanks!

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I've tried to place an order with IPSF for months now with no reply. Are they still in business? Thanks!
Yes. I ordered a package end of December and one late February. Their website is a bit dated (circa 1998 geocities), but they were very responsive every time I contacted them

Ron Primas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I ordered a package end of December and one late February. Their website is a bit dated (circa 1998 geocities), but they were very responsive every time I contacted them
Thanks. I tried ordering again today. Still no response. Weird.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Did you ever remove this? I knew I wasn’t crazy. That is an orange fireworm.

Attachments

• IMG_8975.png
    IMG_8975.png
    427.4 KB · Views: 33

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar sized bristle in my sump.
He occasionally makes his way half up the glass while I'm cleaning skimmer.
Ugh.
Creepy.
We have a mutual agreement to leave each other alone.

My copperband voraciously eats live blackworms daily & once while watching him pecking around rocks for pods I saw him grab a huge bristle, drop it & promptly fly off across to other side of tank in shock.
Albert pecked off more than he could chew!

Attachments

• PXL_20240407_163017846.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240407_163017846.MP.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 19

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back