Homers 80G Started on RC

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that build threads are more for the OP, as a journal so to speak, so you can have a written history and track the development of your own tank... both ups and downs.
The initial setup I can see, and often times look back at why I did something early on as a n00b, and what the outcome was. Once your tank is mature and chugging along, why bother?

I only see it as a way to "show off" to fellow reefers once the tank is mature. I'm not into "showing off" and I don't need the accpetance of fellow reefers to know how I'm doing(I can look at my tank and see).

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I like regular FTS shots to chart progress throughout the life of the tank. Again, for me, it’s for my own enjoyment. If anyone wants to comment and come along for the ride, then that’s Cool too. :)

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was like following yours, @reefwreak ‘s and Soulpatch’s BC29 builds on RC... never once did I ever consider them as show off threads... but that’s just me. :D

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to @reefwreak ‘s apartment in Queens way back when as he helped me fix and solder the Nanobox LEDs in my BC hood. I met both he and his wife before they had their daughter. Good people. I think he’s been really busy with the young ones though, understandably. Never met Soul, but picked his brain often. Agreed, that was a great Nano Forums crew on RC back then. :)

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we all started nano about the same time, and even upgraded around the same time. Eric(reef) and his wife are certainly good people. Andy(soulpatch) gave me my first SPS many years ago, also great people. Unfortunately I haven't talked to either since last year at reefapalooza. :(

Was certainly a great nano forum back then. 100% agreed!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the occasional text from Eric from time to time. That’s why I tagged him above. Maybe he’ll chime in at some point! :D

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see not a lot going on recently.....

Tanks chugging along quite nicely, stuff is growing, algae under control, no new inhabitants.

Got a few pounds of rock finally going into the display, and all the rest I got from @reefwreak last year at reefapalooza(yeah I know I'm getting lazy lol) I'm donating the rest to the friend I'm mentoring.

Fragged my rather large frogspawn, and little nub of forest fire digi I accidentally "fragged" off, and holding an Acro for him(got caught up in a live sale).

Trying to get a hold of a couple versa pumps to setup AWC. Might actually end up going with another DOS. Not sure yet as both are out of stock everywhere.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got rock in. but ended up braking most of my frogspawn colony into many little frags. Not exactly happy about that, but it still looks good.

20200426_165739.jpg

obviously the white rock is the new rock.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after all the upheaval in my tank, all my fish were accounted for.

Then 2 days ago I gave the tank its "dinner', and all my fish were accounted for. Went to feed the tank yesterday morning, and I did not see my fairy wrasse.

Dinner last night, no fairy wrasse. This fish is super healthy, fat, swam the middle of the tank all day, and went through a complete QT.

I'm giving him/her till today to pop out, or I'm chalking it up to stress and death.

Do fairy wrasses hide for days at a time? I know my leopard hid for like 4 days and I thought she was dead, only to pop up 4 days later looking for food.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My carpenter wrasse would regularly disappear for days on end only to reappear and be totally fine. Then one day he stayed gone, never to reappear again. :(

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure my fairy wrasse is dead. Meh shift happens.

On another note, my shifty MDF stand is finally starting to fail(one side of my tank has fallen about 1/8"). With the way this stand is designed, it's basically 3 large MDF panels that sit on the bottom MDF panel, and the top MDF panel sits on the 3 sides.

Well after years of one side getting wet(where my skimmer drain is), that corner has crumbled causing the side panel, and all the supporting weight to push down crushing the MDF.

So this weekend I plan on at least getting a stand built, then maybe next week I'll get it skinned and painted. Maybe before I get back to work I can get the tank set on the stand. That should be a fun project as I will have to drain the tank just so I can slide it off the current stand, and slide the whole thing back into place.

I hope it will be this easy, least it is in my mind. lol .

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not going to happen this weekend unfortunately. tweaked my back yesterday, so I need a couple horizontal, and drug induced days.

My problem with pictures, I never think of them till after I'm finished. lol

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, since my tank is built and cruising along nicely, I always forget about the build thread......

Anyways, met someone on here from VT that sells corals. Picked a couple SPS(I'm getting more and more into sticks!) and went last night to pick them up in lake George.

Owen is a very nice guy even though he forgot one of my corals, we decided he'll get it to me next time I'm up in lake George. Very nice, healthy, chunky frags that are well adjusted and encrusted(I hate fresh cuts).

With out further ado heres the frags. Sorry for the blue light pics, but I took this last night after dipping and acclimating.

From left to right:

Princess Peach, Front Fox Flame, Back POTO Rise and Shine, and an Oregon Tort.
20201014_201642.jpg

As of this morning all are still alive, and have their polyps out. Very happy with my purchase and will most certainly be purchasing from @Owen Edwards again in the future.

For anyone reading this and lives in VT, give @Owen Edwards a shout out on here if your looking to purchase corals.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading back, Have not got that new stand built yet. Got the wood all cut and ready to go, just haven't found the time to get it assembled and painted. My current stand is still holding up, and probably will for the life of the tank, but the crumbling corner has me slightly worried, but not enough to get right on the new stand.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOh forgot to mention, another frag rack down!

I frigen hate magnets that aren't sealed! Or sealed and the plastic swells exposing the magnet!

Third frag rack this has happened to. And it's only after I take them out of the tank and they sit for a while dry do the magnets swell up and crack the plastic that seals them in place.

Trying out one from Mr. Reefs now to see if those magnets swell and crack.

Back