Homers 80G Started on RC

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to meet up with @Owen Edwards last night again to pickup the strawberry shortcake frag he forgot last week(hey **** happens, no big deal, and in no way a knock on owen). To my surprise he threw in a pink the bear frag for my driving and frustration(2 1/2 hour drive to meet half way). No he did not need to do this, and I am 100% grateful for this.

Frags still doing well, and I'm really liking the striking blue on the oregon tort.

Anyways, went out to Rochester(4 hour drive one way) last wednesday to do the LFS crawl and see what they have. I have not been to a decent LFS(none in my area FWIW) since before the pandemic started.

Man was I surprised! Many tanks stocked full of fish and corals! I was chatting with the one owner(man I really wish this store was closer. This place is 100% a reputable LFS!), and he was telling me how even though they are getting some boxes in from suppliers, people just aren't comeing into the store to buy. Most of his stock had been there for a couple weeks, where he normally sells out by the weekend with a mid week shipment.

Visited 2 stores(a third has since closed due to the pandemic, and I think were going to see more LFS's closing because of this), and actually made some decent scores. While I look at corals, my wife picks out the fish.

One fish on my wish list since my last one jumped about a year ago was a starry blenny. My favorite LFS actually had 3 in stock, after having been looking for a year and not finding any(no I will not order fish online, have had way to many show up DOA to trust ordering online). I also picked up a blue star leopard, a very tiny AC blue mandy, and a mcoskers wrasse.

Unfortunately I found the mcoskers as fish jerky the next morning. But everyone else is doing very well, eating, and gaining weight. It's funny the blue star is not afraid of anything.... He/she is about 1/4 the size of my melagris, but does not let her push him around at all. When I dumped him into the tank he immediately flared out his fins and gills, and stood his ground to all my other fish. Needless to say no one picks on him. It's funny how a tiny little fish thats a 1/4 of the size of the other inhabitants can be so brutish.

Other then that, tank is cruising along. My cyano issue seems to have gotten better with the addition of more snails, and my sandbed is actually staying white with the addition of 2 fighting conch's.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guess it's time to do an update.....

Not much to report other then all the fish are doing great! Tiny little 3/4" mandarin is nice and plump, think it may have even gotten a tiny bit longer. Blue star leopard is out an about every day, starry blenny is doing what they do, although this one tends to be a bit more skiddish then my last, and prefers to eat the biofilm off the sand as opposed to the rockwork.

Recent frag additions are doing great, least as far as I can tell. Same colors as when I got them, so no brown turds yet lol. Only thing that worries me is some branches are stark white? Not sure if this is growth or STN, but they have been like this for a couple weeks. If it is tissue loss, it is not progressing past the tips. While I am certainly not new to keeping corals, I am new to high end acro's, so I'm just not sure if it's tip burn, rtn/stn, or just growth tips? It's not every tip, just a branch here or there. When my lights come on in a few hours I'll post a couple pics and let you guys decide.

Other then that, tanks cruising along quite nicely. I did recently replace my T5 bulbs, and as BRS was out of stock on purple plus, I decided to try an aqua blue special in it's place(it's only 1 bulb). I personally think it adds to much white to my tank, and is tough on my eyes to stare at the tank for a few hours. While I like the "more white look", rather then looking through a windex bottle, I just feel this is too white, and yet all my corals don't seem to mind the slight shift in spectrum. Next order I place I'll be replacing that bulb for sure.

Pics of SPS pieces to follow in a few hours.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics as promised.

You can see on the left side of this POTO rise and shine the white tips. Not the best pics, I know. But it's the best I can do(really need to get one of those orange filters).
20201111_083215.jpg

And the one white tip on this princess peach.
20201111_083231.jpg

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets see.....

I've got DINO'S!!!!!!

Confirmed with a scope. No idea why either as my nutrients are well within range. NO3 - 5, PO4 - .03.
Just ordered a UV as I've never run one before and I guess I'll raise my phosphates a tad more. And do a 3 day black out to see if it helps any.

In other news, I finally bought one of those clip on lenses with the filters and macro lens for a cell camera. Everyone seemed to like the one from orphek so thats the one I bought. It looked to be the only one large enough to fit on the note 20 as that things has a huge camera.

Have an exquisite fairy wrasse in an acclimation box. Don't think my long finned fairy is going to allow it in the tank. keeps poking at the box, and won't swim away from it. Not exactly sure what constitutes aggression with fairy wrasses, but it certainly doesn't look good. I'll give it another couple days int he box, and see what happens.

I will rehome the long finned before I get rid of the exquisite.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... I hate dinos. They made me shut down my Biocube 29. :( I’m pretty sure I have them in my current tank as well but they seem to be localized on a small corner and don’t seem to be spreading. I do have a 15 watt AquaUV classic sterilizer, so perhaps that has helped keep them contained.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All caught up. Great story, build, and dialogue. Ur a bull in a china closet like me! Free frags every time we stick our hands in! :p

Speaking of DKH, I'm beginning to see more and more coralline on my rocks/glass/overflow/frag rack/etc since I've been keeping my tank closer to NSW levels as opposed to elevated levels. Not sure if it corresponds, or if it's because I no longer have any asternia stars?
When i got my harlequin shrimp, withing 3 months i started seeing the coralline return. The tank was infested with asterinas. But i will say this. There isnt a break out of uglies that an army of asterinas cant wipe clean in a week. They are the best CUC there is, u just cant keep some corals thay they munch on. Im seriously thinking about having them on purpose in the next build. To balance the coralline consumption rates as well. Its a ponder.

ICP came back with nothing out of the ordinary. Go figure! lol

Bought a female and male lyretail anthias about 2 months ago at a local petco for a song(no really got them both for 10$ as they did not look healthy at all and this particular store was tearing out their SW section). Went straight into QT, and about 2 days later the male perished. Female made it through a rigorous QT process and is now living in my display.

While never owning anthias before she is most certainly out and about and getting more bolder by the day. She even had a small skirmish with my african flame back thats a major *****, and he now leaves her alone as he knows she won't be bullied. I was shocked this tiny little fish stood her ground to a much larger and powerful fish! She even stood her ground to my coris wrasse

Might search out a male eventually, or maby some other type of male anthais? I really like the borbonius but at 300$ for a single fish think I'll pass. lol
Borbs are outrageously overpriced.

And thats hilarious cuz i had a Psychopath Female Squam anthias that was barely 3", and would smoke a 5" zebra sailfin if it even tried. Even bossed around a fat Davinci/Snowflake breeding pair out of their own nem if she please. Her and my psycho clown tang ran the joint. Was insane.

Ill be following along for the 4 updates a year. Rakie and bubba are phenomenal resources. Tragic what Tim went through with his tap water.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol woke up this morning to 57 notification from R2R! Thought maybe I had won something, nope. Just @RichtheReefer21 liking posts in here. lol

Thanks for the read and kind words @RichtheReefer21

I only do updates when I remember which does seem like 4 times a year. Just nothing exciting once the tank is up, running well, and nothing new other then some coral. Besides no one ever comments, so I assume I'm doing this for my self to look back on.

OOh I can finally take pics that don't look all blue!

The orphek lens is actually pretty nice, and i can stack lenses so you can do a macro, and orange filter for really cool looking pics.

Exquisite wrasse accidentally went into the display yesterday, and the long finned will not leave it be. I'm beginning to think I may have to skewer the long finned as it's just a d*ck! I know right where it sleeps, and if I cannot catch it, it will get skewered.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol woke up this morning to 57 notification from R2R! Thought maybe I had won something, nope. Just @RichtheReefer21 liking posts in here. lol

Thanks for the read and kind words @RichtheReefer21

I only do updates when I remember which does seem like 4 times a year. Just nothing exciting once the tank is up, running well, and nothing new other then some coral. Besides no one ever comments, so I assume I'm doing this for my self to look back on.

OOh I can finally take pics that don't look all blue!

The orphek lens is actually pretty nice, and i can stack lenses so you can do a macro, and orange filter for really cool looking pics.

Exquisite wrasse accidentally went into the display yesterday, and the long finned will not leave it be. I'm beginning to think I may have to skewer the long finned as it's just a d*ck! I know right where it sleeps, and if I cannot catch it, it will get skewered.
U can turn off and adjust the email notifications etc in ur user settings. Customized so that doesnt happen.

Hopefully you are kidding about the skewer. LoL.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know I can turn off the notification, but i like them. I often times forget what threads I've replied to, so that helps in a way. I just don't normally have that many notifications unless people were congratulating me for some achievement, or I won something on here.

And no I'm not kidding about the skewer! This fish has harassed 4 different fish to death. I want it out of my reef, and I have tried numerous traps. I may just try to go "fishing" one of these days with a barbless hook!

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it seems that the log finned has finally accepted the exquisite. There is still a little chasing from time to time, but the nipping has subsided, and the poor exquisite can finally swim around the tank without much attention from the long finned.

Whats odd, is during feeding time, they swim right next to each other often times stealing food from one another, but no harassing during feeding.

I still hate that fish! Although beautiful, such a huge PITA!

All my SPS frags are doing great and adding base and height at the same time!

Still fighting dino's as my UV died(cheap brand). I just cannot for the life of me justify the cost of a decent unit for something I'll probably only use a couple days. With that said, I purchased the large jebao pond UV and will be installing that later today. I've read of a few issues with the jebao, but those were from long term use. I only plan on using this for a couple weeks to rid my tank of dino's. Raising nutrients helped immensely, but they are still around as by the end of the light cycle, I can see there well know snot looking brown algae.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with the idea of an expensive UV for the cube too. For all the same reasons. Its not going to be run 24/7, just when needed. UV systems are so pricey. But oh so helpful too. Hard to justify the cost still.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya on price of those "decent" units.

I have never run UV 24/7 as IMO it kills more beneficial bacteria(water column, and no I'm not talking just the ammonia, and nitrate bacteria), then harmful if not fighting an issue. I only run UV when I'm trying to fix an "issue", so the price of those "decent" units does not equate in my mind.

$80.00 for the jebao 18W
$305.00 for the pentair

No brainer in my eyes. I suppose if money was no object, I would purchase the pentair and just leave it running 24/7

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went for a ride yesterday as it was my 21st wedding anniversary, so didn't get anything tank related done.

Have an upper GI this afternoon and can't eat or drink anything from midnight last night to 4pm this afternoon! So I plan on getting the UV installed, and using the awesome orphek clip on filter to get some not blue pics posted up.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol stalking my R2R SS and they said they would post pics of my gift in their build thread on the thank you note from elfster.....

Build thread hasn't been updated since January. lol Least I know it arrived and they liked it.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well had my upper GI and everything was good! No more polyps in my esophagus, and my stomach was empty.

Anyways tank related, my wife wanted to go shopping so we left early and I didn't get tank related things done. But my wife has to take her mother to the doctors today, so I will most certainly be getting the UV plumbed in, and snap some pics with the orphek filters.

I promise I'll get some pics up later today.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well spent most of the day trying to get this jebao UV plumbed in.......

I need to go to the city to get some plumbing parts. Not an easy feet as any lowes or HD is about an hour drive one way. As such, I did not get it plumbed in, and dino's are still around.

I did snap some pics, so I'll get those up ASAP!
Macro shot of fox flame:
20201124_130410.jpg

Macro of Oregon tort:
20201124_130416.jpg

Macro of princess peach:
20201124_130425.jpg

Macro of BC's Mrs. Scarlet:
20201124_130516.jpg

Smooth skin pavona:
20201124_130733.jpg

Hairy pavona for contrast:
20201124_130508.jpg

Right side of tank:
20201124_130624.jpg

Left side:
20201124_130501.jpg

The obligatory FTS:\
20201124_130450.jpg

And one I got of my bumblee goby:
20201124_130754.jpg

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still see the snotty dino's in some of the shots. And everything was closed up as I just cleaned the glass and blew off the rocks.

And don't fret, I know I don't have any PE on those acro's, but I chalk it up to the flame back angel. At night, when the angel is alseep, they are furry as all h* ll. While I have never seen it nip, I'm sure it does a "swim by" from time to time.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both those monti's(the red and the green) I thought I had gotten rid of. But apparently just a little sliver was left, and it obviously grew back. I'm kind of happy it's growing up the glass, as it looks fairly decent. It has even started to plate out from the glass.

I'm thinking I might toss the purple stylo too...... It has started to encrust on my overflow, and at one LFS I saw the same thing but it covered their entire overflow! I think if I get rid of the colony, it will continue to grow over the overflow? I did ask the LFS how they got it to do that, and it happened the same way mine is. Was close to the overflow, and it just started encrusting on it's own. They then removed the colony, and it continued to encrust the overflow and not grow off it into little branches.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back