Homers 80G Started on RC

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets see it's been 3 months since I updated my build thread.........

A lot has happened.

Lost my tamarin, exquisite, and lantern basslet.

Work got busy and I have lost interest in the tank. Haven't done a WC in 3 months, tank looks like sh**. most of my coral is dead and covered in algae, haven't cleaned the glass in weeks. Haven't tested the tank in probably 3 months. Just keep filling the 2 part, auto feeder, and feeding the fish. About all I've done.

Loosing some of my fish has really put me in a funk with the tank. I really need to get in there and cut back a lot of SPS that are dead and dying. I've lost quite a few coral, and I believe since nothing seems to be growing, my ALK has climbed sky high. I'm still dosing, just haven't tested the tank at all, but I have noticed from feeding the fish daily, that a lot of coral has died off.

I feel bad for my fish, but I just honestly lost interest at this point. I feel I just need to take a break, and feed the fish like I have been, and cut back on taking care of the coral. If it lives, it lives, if it doesn't I'll remove it. Been in a fink like this before, and let the tank go. I'll recover at some point, and be back better then ever, just not right now.

My stupid female clown has killed my hammer, finally, and now she's moving on to my elegance. She has already killed 2 torch's previously. I think it might be time to get rid of the clown?
been there, just do what makes you happy for now, take a break if you need it, that fire can stay alive as an ember, it will spark back up one day! good luck

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After listening to my wife complain for the millionth time about the tank, I decided to get off my butt and clean the glass a little, and pull some dead coral out.

I'm extremely ashamed I let so much coral die!

Every acro, milli, and monti is dead. Every LPS is dead with the exception of my large lobo(which is receding), 1 elegance, A large colony of duncan, and my oddball split head trachy. RFA'a act as though nothing has happened, an both my pavonas are hurting, but still alive.

I yanked out 2 5 gallon buckets full of coral skeleton out. Tank looks very bare with the exception of a couple larger colonies(pavonas, trachy, lobo, duncan), and my fish seem lost without the large colonies of acros to swim in and out of.

After I finish cleaning the glass, and rescaping a bit, I'll post up some new FTS's.

I need to use something more then my scraper on a wand, and flipper. Some of the algae is tough, almost like coralline, but it's green.

Needless to say, fish seem fine, and I have no idea what my levels of anything are. I simply have not even cleaned the glass in about 2 months. No WC's, no dosing, haven't changed socks(yes they are overflowing LOL), just let the auto feeder go off twice a day, and fed frozen one time a day. Only thing I have been consistent on.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS from Feb, when the tank still looked great:
20230220_154935.jpg

And today:
20230713_134512.jpg

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, Homer. You've been in the hobby long enough to know these tanks can spiral down pretty progressively from a coral standpoint. I agree though, take care of the fish and come back with more energy to the coral game later when it feels time again. It's pretty amazing how low maintenance fish only tanks can be after caring for a heavy SPS dominant reef.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for being so vulnerable with us. It’s not easy.
Meh, it's my tank and I certainly share the ups, as well as the downs with it. Certainly in a down moment right now, but thats just me and how I feel right now. Maybe if I get out of MY FUNK, I may get the tank out of it's funk.

My wife is already talking about going out to ARC in the fall to restock the tank with SPS. lol. Not sure I'm ready for all that again. Might just let what I have grow in, and take care of the fish. Kind of burnt out on the daily ALK tetsing, weekly WC's, etc, etc, etc, that it takes to run an SPS dominant tank.

I will say, of everything I lost, I will miss the COPPS 24k gold milli. I will not miss, nor will it ever go in another tank of mine, was the very large colony of stylo. I hated that thing, but it was just to big and beautiful to get rid of. Glad it's gone now!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After listening to my wife complain for the millionth time about the tank, I decided to get off my butt and clean the glass a little, and pull some dead coral out.

I'm extremely ashamed I let so much coral die!

Every acro, milli, and monti is dead. Every LPS is dead with the exception of my large lobo(which is receding), 1 elegance, A large colony of duncan, and my oddball split head trachy. RFA'a act as though nothing has happened, an both my pavonas are hurting, but still alive.

I yanked out 2 5 gallon buckets full of coral skeleton out. Tank looks very bare with the exception of a couple larger colonies(pavonas, trachy, lobo, duncan), and my fish seem lost without the large colonies of acros to swim in and out of.

After I finish cleaning the glass, and rescaping a bit, I'll post up some new FTS's.

I need to use something more then my scraper on a wand, and flipper. Some of the algae is tough, almost like coralline, but it's green.

Needless to say, fish seem fine, and I have no idea what my levels of anything are. I simply have not even cleaned the glass in about 2 months. No WC's, no dosing, haven't changed socks(yes they are overflowing LOL), just let the auto feeder go off twice a day, and fed frozen one time a day. Only thing I have been consistent on.
Sorry to hear all this happened!

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the latest mishaps. Sad side of the hobby but such as life tanks have their ups and downs. I take the downs to make a learning out of them and then try to make improvements which spark my interest in the tank again. That has been going for plus years for me woth sometimes more downs than ups.
Hope u get the tank back to its glory!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back