Homers 80G Started on RC

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say hey! Nice looking tank. Some similarities in our journeys gha dinos all that fun love threads that share it all not just the pretty pics. If your on fence on a purchase trident is on my wish list @Crabby48 runs it maybe once he catches up he can give it a yea or nay

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah just not sure....

On one hand I have a perfectly working apex(albeit the classic), and to use the trident I would have to upgrade to the 2016 unit, so were looking at like a grand...

2 versa pumps for AWC is only $300......

Just not sure, my tank is pretty stable and I'm not trying to grow thing to frag and sell. So not sure the trident is the way to go for me right now.

FWIW, thanks for stopping by guys!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics as promised:

Frags, FYI I HATE FRAG RACKS! I just hate the way they look in the tank. Soon as these start to take off, I'll remove it.

Copps 24K gold millipora, it's at the back of the tank, top of the rockwork. Hard to get a pic of:

20201208_164828.jpg

Princess peach:
20201208_163737.jpg

Poto rise and shine. This is the one that was riddled with dino's. Still kicking:
20201208_163808.jpg

Fox flame:
20201208_163838.jpg

Oregon tort:
20201208_163852.jpg

Green slimer:
20201208_163908.jpg

Green with purple polyp monti:
20201208_163936.jpg

My 2 baby rock flowers:
20201208_164045.jpg

20201208_164053.jpg

Hairy pavona:
20201208_164146.jpg

And the obligatory FTS:
20201208_164019.jpg
Looking great!!

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been meaning to get this setup a little differently......

I have a pump in my sump that when the overflow drains down, I can pump out exactly 10G for a WC. I have a long hose that hooks to the side of my sink, I turn the pump on till it sucks air, and viola! A 10G WC. It was always a hassle though to unwind the long hose(sink is about 20 feet away) with the pump attached. So went to the city yesterday to do some shopping, stopped at lowes to get the things I needed to just leave the pump in the sump, and just disconnect the hose.
20201217_105905.jpg

LOL just noticed looking at that pic, how rusted my hinges have gotten.

Ok heres a question for you guys....

I have this huge stylo thats starting to encrust onto my overflow. I was in this LFS one time and they had a wall of stylo that basically did the same thing. Because it plated onto the glass, it never developed branches, and eventually covered the entire back glass.

Absolutely loved the look, better then a wall of GSP! I thinking of cutting this colony out, and just letting it encrust over the overflow. Seeing as I'm 2 1/2 hours from any LFS and their currently shut down due to covid, I would have to just junk the colony. I'm torn between what to do. Just leave it be and maybe trade it in later down the road, or just ditch the colony? What would you guys do?

Colony:
20201217_105954.jpg

Here you can see it has encrusted quite well, it actually wraps around to the side. I have a center tower overflow, and this covering it I think would look cool and hide it.
20201217_110003.jpg

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics on the phone using filter clip! Can really see some great detail on the corals.
That stylo entrusting on overflow is pretty cool looking. I'd leave the colony for trade down the road if it's not bugging ya. Get a few buck in trade not a bad thing there's always something to buy :)

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up saturday morning to the sound of water dripping in my spare room(junk/fish room)! I look in and the uniseal on the bottom of my brute is dripping, and I have about 5 gallons of water soaking into the sub floor(still procrastinating putting the tile floor down after 2 years.....)! Of course I need to be to work in a half hour, so I just leave it.

Since I went to bigger brutes, and the huge MRC pump I won on here for my mixing station, these uniseals have always leaked a bit. It usually happens when I leave the pump on too long as it heats the water way up, and makes the plastic soft. Once the water cools down to room temp, the uniseals usually stop leaking. I might loose a quart of water, probably less. This time, they continued to leak.

I HATE UNISEALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I ordered schedule 80 bulkheads from BRS to replace the uniseals. From what I've read, the brutes are thin enough that a schedule 80 bulkheads will seal. Luckily schedule 80 bulkheads need a 65mm hole, and uniseals take a 64mm hole. Interestingly enough regular ABS bulkheads in a 1 1/2" take a 60mm hole.

Since we all like pics......

This is my RO/DI barrel. Notice I've even tried plumbers putty to stop them from leaking. And before anyone suggests, yes the pipes are supported and not hanging off the uniseals.
20201221_073415.jpg

Salt barrel with uniseal removed.
20201221_073246.jpg

And the original pipe that is sitting on a temp barrel as I just made fresh SW.
20201221_073249.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank is looking great! Also your drilling hold skills look exactly like mine! :p

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up saturday morning to the sound of water dripping in my spare room(junk/fish room)! I look in and the uniseal on the bottom of my brute is dripping, and I have about 5 gallons of water soaking into the sub floor(still procrastinating putting the tile floor down after 2 years.....)! Of course I need to be to work in a half hour, so I just leave it.

Since I went to bigger brutes, and the huge MRC pump I won on here for my mixing station, these uniseals have always leaked a bit. It usually happens when I leave the pump on too long as it heats the water way up, and makes the plastic soft. Once the water cools down to room temp, the uniseals usually stop leaking. I might loose a quart of water, probably less. This time, they continued to leak.

I HATE UNISEALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I ordered schedule 80 bulkheads from BRS to replace the uniseals. From what I've read, the brutes are thin enough that a schedule 80 bulkheads will seal. Luckily schedule 80 bulkheads need a 65mm hole, and uniseals take a 64mm hole. Interestingly enough regular ABS bulkheads in a 1 1/2" take a 60mm hole.

Since we all like pics......

This is my RO/DI barrel. Notice I've even tried plumbers putty to stop them from leaking. And before anyone suggests, yes the pipes are supported and not hanging off the uniseals.
20201221_073415.jpg

Salt barrel with uniseal removed.
20201221_073246.jpg

And the original pipe that is sitting on a temp barrel as I just made fresh SW.
20201221_073249.jpg
What a pain...

You could try...Drain and dry, sand down the inside of the seal, sand the pvc, Silicone that puppy in and toss a union and a ball valve on the outside in case u need to change or swap something?

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so when I originally set up the brutes, I did sand(several times actually) the burrs off to initially get the uniseals to stop leaking. And the only problem with silicone and brutes, it doesn't stick to the brute! While I appreciate the suggestion, I know neither of those ideas will work, and permanently fix the issue.

I think the hole only looks sloppy because of the plumbers putty and silicone I originally used to try and get it to stop leaking. Hopefully the schedule 80 bulkhead will permanently fix the leaks. Of course my dumb a** had to pay for shipping from BRS twice! I though I had 2 in my cart when I checked out, got the shipping email yesterday, checked the order, and I only ordered 1!@$%*&!@^ So had to go back and order another for the RO/DI bin. Oddly enough, the top uniseal where the water enters the brute, does not leak one bit.

I also think some of my problem is the plumbing size..... At 1 1/2" the hole in the brute becomes very flimsy and not allowing the uniseal to seal properly at that size. Even though I have the pipes supported, and movement to the uniseal causes them to leak.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas!!!!

Woke up this morning to my exquisite fairy wrasse dried up on the floor. Seems someone hit the net top, jarring it loose. Then the wrasse must have jumped.

Thats 2 fish in the last month! I'm not having a good month with fish it seems. Finally found a reputable place that QT's fish so I don't have to, but I can't seem to keep them alive. lol

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well more trouble......

Got home from work on monday to find my princess peach toppled over laying in my frogspawn! Not sure how long it was in there, but there is some tissue loss, and I see no polyp extension. It still has some color, but it seems to be loosing flesh at the tips. Think it might be a goner......We'll see I suppose.

In other news, my Miss. Scarlet(or shades of fall, I can't remember which it was) I got from battle corals about a year ago now has always grown well, but has always been a brown turd. I've noticed in the last 2 months or so it getting some very nice purple growth tips, and the body turning a nice shade of light green. I can't seem to get a decent pic of it with a simple cell phone camera.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the hits just keep on coming!!!......

Yesterday morning everything looked bright and peachy, fed the fish, looked around the tank, and everything looked great! Had to take the the newfie to the groomers so went to the city also to do some shopping. Got home several hours later, and went to feed the fish and I noticed my normally bright green slimer wasn't green anymore!

Looks like a massive RTN event! Every stick in my tank sloughed off all of their skin. Every stick is a bare white skeleton, but their polyps still exists. I've never seen a massive RTN event like this. I've had a stick here and there, but never every single stick in my tank.

No idea what caused it either. Tested the tank, everything test out perfectly. Of course ALK and CAL raised a bit from no consumption throughout the day, as I though I would see. Changed out the carbon in the reactor, and did as big of a WC as possible(40G). Of course my mixing station was down as I'm still waiting on bulkheads from BRS, so I had to improvise a bit and go old school with the bucket brigade. Thank god my wife is just as much into this hobby as I am, as I threw out my back the other day, and she pretty much did the WC for me.

ALK - 8.0 up from 7.5
CAL - 440 up from 420
MAG - 1440
NO3 - 5
PO4 - .03

When my lights come up, I'll post a couple pics. I did look around with a flashlight this morning, and it seems it may have stopped with only a few complete losses. But I won't know exactly whats lost till the lights come on.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OOh pics. jkust took one of my green slimer(easiest one to get pics of). You can see the skin is gone, but the polyps remain. So I'm not sure how to proceed?
20201231_094643.jpg

nearly all of my sticks are effected this way, and others are acting like nothings happening?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back