Homers 80G Started on RC

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210304_151727.jpg

20210304_151755.jpg

20210304_151802.jpg

20210304_151815.jpg

20210304_151819.jpg

20210304_152052.jpg

20210304_152119.jpg

20210304_152128.jpg

20210304_152143.jpg

20210304_152240.jpg

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the LFS last night to find another clown. Well my wife fell in love with a lighting maroon!

Needless to say I now have a small lighting maroon in an acclimation box, hoping it gets along with my male osc. clown.

Now I know maroons are known for being bullies, but the lighting variety is supposed to be a little more docile. We will see.....

I'll either have a nice happy coexisting pair, or releasing world war 3 in my tank. Time will tell.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Released my little maroon this morning before the lights came on.........

All seems to be fine for now. My fancy Osc. went right up to the maroon, gave it a nudge, and now they are both nestled in my hammer. I think this may work long term. We will see......

I have always loved maroons for their coloring, but could do without their disposition. So I have never kept one. I'm hoping this one does not become a major d*ckhead.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it seems the honeymoon is over.....

No chasing, or nipping going on, just the maroon has taken to the opposite side of the tank. Didn't think they would pair up as quick as they did, but also didn't think since the initial meeting went fine, that the maroon would be by itself now.

Anyways....

I have one side of my tank that always grows cyano. Not just on the sandbed, but the rocks too. Only on one side. No idea why, or what difference is in c=flow from the other side, but it happens. To combat this I have always wanted to get a small PH to place down low on that side to get some flow over there to hopefully clear the cyno.

Endless searching hasn't yielded any PH I liked that were small enough to put where I wanted. Finally found the nero 3 from AI( I was looking at much cheaper options initially). Finally pulled the trigger this morning on one. Should be here by friday I'm hoping. And I soon hope to be rid of my cyano issue.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my new maroon has taken to a rather large meat coral as it's host. Funny thing is the neat coral is directly in front of the my female clowns hammer. I believe they will eventually pair up. I'm starting to see the tell tale signs of one charging, the other flopping to the side and quivering(dominance and subservient).

I happen to see my pink urchin this morning(it apparently hates light, so I never see it except at night). Man it's gotten huge! I originally placed in the tank about the size of a large marble(for anyone old enough to play marbles, it was the size of a shooter marble). It's now the size of a ping pong ball! Probably only been a month or so.

Corals are all doing well. I was curious what a POTO rise and shine is supposed to look like, I can tell you mine looks nothing like the pictures! It's pretty much just green lol. Pink the bear is finally starting to color up, now it just needs to grow. lol

Nero is supposed to show up here today, but with the way UPS delivers up here, it won't be till after dinner. Will have to post a review of it tomorrow.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build thread....yup always forget about it. Hey the tank is 5 years old and built!

Anyways, got my nero 3 in the mail, installed it, fairly impressed with it to be quite honest. Pushes a ton of water for it's size, is nearly dead silent, and being all black and having a very thin power cable makes it virtually disappear in my tank. it has for the most part done what I got it to do, add some much needed flow across one side of my sandbed to combat the ugly cyano.

Corals and fish are doing fine. Lighting maroon and my fancy osc. have not paired up, not that I'm really expecting them to, just don't want them to kill each other either either. They do seem to be getting along, but will not host together. They do host 2 completely separate corals, but they are in very close proximity to each other.

Since all my SPS seem to be doing well, coloring up, and actually growing(i've honestly never seen my tank look better then it has the last couple months), I put in another order to @Owen Edwards for a couple more "collector" pieces.

Have a walt disney coming(just love the color on this piece), Bill murray, ATL purple tulip, ASD solar flare, and a wolverine milli.

I've dealt with owen a couple times now, and I will say his corals are always healthy, true to their color, and per my request always healed up frags. He will cut fresh if you so desire, but with my travel time, I find healed frags just do better, so he cuts for me, I wait a few weeks to heal, then drive out and pick them up.

Anyone reading has any questions....fire away.

OOh was cruising @Battlecorals website the other day, think I might just have to grab another battle box from Adam. His corals are absolutely amazing, and Adam will work with you to get you the pieces you want. Cannot say enough good about Adam. Definitely knows his corals, and is just an all around great guy to do business with.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won’t pair but if they each have a coral they like they might be ok. Lightning maroons are still fairly aggressive, mine will attack frags she’s mad at or will grab substrate and spit it at corals.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know females are way more aggressive, had a regular female maroon when I was just a mere newbie. Being my OSC is female, I'm hoping the maroon stays male so he's not so dang mean!

Why oh why is such a beautiful fish so dang mean?

Never thought they would pair up, but I have read of it happening on the rare occurrence. If they get along, and the maroon doesn't become a murderer, I'll be happy.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well had another fatality last night!

Woke up yesterday morning to my rather large feather duster stuck to the side of one of my urchins! Guess he decided he wanted some decorations?

Anyways, I pulled it off the urchin with it's crown still out in the current. Stuck him back down in the sandbed, or at least I thought I had. Came home from work to see the papery tube sticking out of my RFA's mouth! Left it be, because at this point I'm going to kill both if I try and pull it out. dang RFA must have sucked the worm right out of his tube! Saw the crown floating around this morning, and the worm's tube is just a flat leathery looking tube.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well took a drive to Vermont last night to pickup my coral from Owen. Got lost along the way. Apparently my car GPS thought I was going somewhere 20 miles out of my way! When I pulled into the road that was supposed to be Owen's, it was a private road with 1 house on it that wasn't Owens. lol Switched over to google maps on my phone, and found it right away.

All I can say is WOW! What a beautiful tank. Some very nice full size adult tangs. Full on colonies of SPS, couple LPS sprinkled in here and there. And it was beautiful countryside too.

Picked up a walt disney, ASD solar flare, ATL purple tulip, and TSA bill murry. Now if you have followed me at all, you know I'm not into named peices, I just pickup whatever looks pretty to me regardless of name. So in reality, other then being able to look them up on the web to see what a colony should looks like, I will fully forget the names in time and just refer to them as the pretty yellow milli, or the pretty purple tipped one, etc. Sorry I just don't get caught up in the name game hype, and I do not sell corals, so names are useless to me.

When my lights come on in a few hours, I'll post a couple pics.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your choice in wrasse. The red coris is my absolute favorite just ahead of the yellow coris which are slightly ahead of the potters :)

Unfortunately my red coris became an absolute terror after a few years and about 4 inches as it started to change to adult coloration. Still constantly debating on whether or not to get another though....

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a frag pack from someone on here. Stupid fedex lost the package and I had to drive down to the distribution center to get them so they didn't sit on a truck for another 6 hours before they got delivered.

Needless to say only 2 of the 8 made it. Seller is making it right though so props to him.

PC Superman
20210506_130036.jpg

Samentosa
20210506_130015.jpg

And my new stand. Top on screwed on in this photo, but it's the only one I took. lol

My friend that was helping me misunderstood me, and the middle support should sit on the end of the tank 32 inches away from the side panel. He misunderstood me and made the inside 32 inches. Which places the middle support an inch off the side of the tank. With the 1 inch top, I don't think it's a huge deal.
20210506_125825.jpg

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone following......

You guys know I'm getting ready to move the tank as were having new floors put down. So in preparation, I decided to chop down my frogspawn, chop down the purple stylo(it really is starting to get unruly), and chopped down the BC shades of fall, I basically left what was encrusted on the rock for shades of and a couple little sprouts. Also I have a whole slew of new sticks I need real estate for.

OLD FTS:
20210327_164547.jpg

NEW FTS:
20210508_163219.jpg

50 or so heads of frogspawn I just threw in the trash:
20210508_163454.jpg

And where I moved the remaining 15 heads too:
20210508_163212.jpg

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets see, lots of stuff going down here........

Got my new floors put down, and tank moved. Only fatality was a frag of hulk milli, and my biota mandy. The mandy I found in my ovefflow pipes( I do not run a pipe on my full siphon).I have never had a fish in my overflow so not totally sure how he got in there.

Still have my cabinet doors to finish and get installed, but pretty much everything was good. The move was much more stressful then I thought it was going to be. Still need to get some wire management done, and get my DOS hooked up, but I was in a hurry when I found the hetaer I was using in my coral tub died and the temp was down to 68.

Since we all like pics, pics of the "job".

Emptying the thing out:
20210523_150313.jpg

All empty:
20210523_170206.jpg

The "tubs" I kept everything in for 4 days:
20210523_170220.jpg

20210523_170227.jpg

Room of "stuff" that gpoes into the cabinet:
20210523_190340.jpg

Cleaning "her" out on my porch:
20210523_190413.jpg

And all on the new stand and filled back up:
20210526_190752.jpg

NEW FTS. A bit cloudy as this was just minutes after getting it all filled back up:
20210526_190758.jpg

Obviously my lights need to be moved a bit, and I still have a f ew things left to do, but 99% of everything was good and alive.

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you set this tank back up? I just picked up same tank from a reefer who never set it up. Was hoping to see or have you describe how you plumbed the overflow. I've only ever ran a Durso and this has parts for Herbie,I think.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been a member here for quite a while now, and since I no longer visit RC, I figured I would move my build thread over to here..... Or rather restart my build thread.

Since my tank is basically built and has been for several years now, I suppose this is just a place for me to dump my thoughts and get help from the community going forward.

So lets start with the basics....

80G SCA cube
Center tower style overflow running a herbie setup
6 x 36W ATI sunpower
Gyre xf230
2 mp10's
2 jeboa pp8's
Bubble magus curve 5 elite
BRS mini media reactor with carbon only 24/7/365
DIY algae turf scrubber
waveline dc 4000 return

Current inhabitants....
yellow coris wrasse
1 midnight clown(other jumped)
yellow eye kole tang
flame back angel
mandarin goby
starry blenny
skunk cleaner shrimp

I will post a link to RC(think thats allowed?) for anyone interested in the original build thread.

Homer1475's 80gallon build thread

And seeing as tapatalk is easier to post photos from a mobile, I'll throw up some current photos from my phone in the next post.
Nice!

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets see build thread, yup forgot about it. LOL

Nothing new really other then I bought a pintail fairy, that jumped, and was replaced. lol New melagris leopard, and new negosensis leopard.

Corals all doing well, fought byopsis a couple times, and all fish are mostly fine.

I forget the build thread cause nothing changes, tank is pretty much on cruise control. Add frags, trim colonies, feed the fish, test twice a week. Not much changes anymore.

FTS as of last night, and yes I need to clean the sandbed. that is on tap for today:
20211231_164353.jpg

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS as of last night, and yes I need to clean the sandbed. that is on tap for today:
Did your parameters change much after moving your tank?
Did you replace the sand bed?

looks good! So sad that you had to toss those frog spawn, one of my favorite corals.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back