Hooking up a UV

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'll be receiving my AquaUV 25w soon and I was wondering what way to install it.
1. In line with the return pump with valves to control the flow to it.
2 hooked to its own pump.also need a flow sensor.

With both ways I need a flow sensor. I dont have an Apex, so are there any flow sensor out there? I really couldn't find any.
What are the drawbacks of hooking up with the return pump?
I dont have enough room in my return area for another pump and I don't want to put a pump in the DT so would there be anyplace else I can put it in the sump that would be efficient?
Do you run your uv all the time or just for a few hours ? Is it best if you just run it part time to do it at night or during the day ? Or it dont matter ?
I haven't read to much about the AquaUV 25 to see the flow requirements but for level 1 I think it is 400 gph any pump you would recommend? Maybe there is a small enough one that would stick out in my DT or it would fit in my return area.
Thanks !

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
timely thread; see this mess, yeah i’m tagging along

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha thats what I dont want.
I dont want to mess with my return pump I really dont and I don't want to spend 100's on a flow sensor.
So I'm thinking if it need 400 gph to get a pump rated for 800 gph and put a valve on it put the pump in my DT if not ugly and big or in my skimmer area idk and have it return into the tank or return pump chamber depending on the bubbles or
Just not hook it up hah seems I am fine but I wanted one lol.
But my return pump is working and performing great and dont want to jinx it lol

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was torn between 2 pumps or one and decided it was better to go with a single pump and manifold off of that. All depends on space, outlets and how complex you want things .... I do know to use unions and gray pvc....those box store “white” ball valves will bind on ya. ...
BTW, FWIW UV adds heat and so will 2 pumps running ...
I got seahorses and bacteria and high temps don’t mix

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ever method you decide on installing, recommend that you make it very easy to access the UV light. The bulb will need to be replaced every year BUT I have found the quartz sleeve that holds the UV light needs to be cleaned every 2 to 3 months. I found that when I waited longer, the UV light lost its effectiveness.

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank ? I was looking at the all in one ones but just didn't know of they worked or would just be a waste.
Thanks for that info about cleaning and having easy access

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ever method you decide on installing, recommend that you make it very easy to access the UV light. The bulb will need to be replaced every year BUT I have found the quartz sleeve that holds the UV light needs to be cleaned every 2 to 3 months. I found that when I waited longer, the UV light lost its effectiveness.
How do you have yours hooked up?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oversized my UV light - 57 watt for 90 gallons. UV light is plumbed after my return pump, and installed above my sump, attached to the underside of cabinet stand.

If I had to do it over again, I would install UV in the back or side stand and make it much easier to access.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank ? I was looking at the all in one ones but just didn't know of they worked or would just be a waste.
Thanks for that info about cleaning and having easy access
Oversize the UV light - really no downsides to doing this and Very effective in the Dino fight!

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you put it after the return pump on the same return line ?Did you loop it with valves or just straight thru I assume some type of flow control

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guessing the flow or do you have some type of flow sensor.
Using the return pump is the most efficient I would think

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree.... an adjustable pump with the right top end and low end can allow you to run protozoan kill flow rate or bacteria / algae flow rate. I run mine 24/7 typically at the faster rate just to clarify the water. If I think I see a spot on a fish, I turn it down for a week for peace of mind.

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha that is what I was going to ask well I need to read what the flow should be for the 25w thought level 1 is 400 or 500 gph I have a 120g and use a vectra M1 that I haven't hooked up yet waiting for the uv to get here.
So with the vectra you can tune it in somewhat ?

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can tune it in that would simplify things. I am new to the Vectra pumps

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha that is what I was going to ask well I need to read what the flow should be for the 25w thought level 1 is 400 or 500 gph I have a 120g and use a vectra M1 that I haven't hooked up yet waiting for the uv to get here.
So with the vectra you can tune it in somewhat ?
Yes - you can precisely control flow with M1. Ecotech even gives you a chart to help you understand flow rates based on setup.

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set mine up to run on seperate jebao pump with supply and return both in display tank. I have an apex, so I connected a flow sensor in the return line after the UV and a canister filter before the pump. I pretty much run it 24/7 unless I add something that needs to settle in tank first, pods etc.

OP
OP
rockdiver

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - you can precisely control flow with M1. Ecotech even gives you a chart to help you understand flow rates based on setup.
Cool can't wait so see how that works. Picked up a used one and upgraded it to the mobius app now waiting for the UV next weekend hook it all up. So on a waterbox 110 the DT is roughly 90g then the sump. So the AquaUV is rated for 150g so I should be able to do as you are doing and tune the uv in the tank should have what if I remember right like 900 gph ? Or minimum 5x ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back