HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Thanks!
Great stand! Love the built-in display Fuge idea. I'm watching this one!

Following along. That is a great stand! I love the incorporation of the fuge into the display that way. Awesome work, can't wait to see this come to life!

Thanks, I've made a bit more progress and need to update the thread.
I've been remodeling the house at the same time so the tank gets neglected lately, getting to a point where I can work on it more though.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to copy this! Thanks! I had the bottom track on, but completely struggled with getting both on. Just decided to do the top. Thanks for this great idea. I'm thinking about cutting a window into the sheet and installing some glass to be able to watch my refugium

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, its been a while since I posted on here! I have slowly but surely been working on the build. They say to reef slow, so I'm taking that advice to heart. I plumped the tank with pvc. (Just the plain white stuff nothing fancy, but with good valves). I converted the stock Durso overflow setup into a herbie. The return hole is now the main full siphon drain with the stock durso tower as the backup. The return just runs over the back of the tank. I set up the tank in the garage and tested the setup. The refugium and Dt drains both work great, and have backups.

IMG_0187(1).JPG
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about my aquascaping a lot! I mean A LOT! Probably more than is healthy, but a cube is a hard tank to aquascape. Not a lot of real estate but lots of height, so I decided to build up. That got me a big pile of rocks that would collect debris and wouldn't leave room on the sandbed , also not too much room for corals (see above). So I borrowed the idea to use acrylic rods to hold the rocks together from some other industrious reefers @thenissantech, and broke out the drill and hammer!
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG

I decided to go all out and support the rods with 3 acrylic plates and a large acrylic base (formally my baffles). This combined with a couple sticks of jb waterweld allowed me to do it properly. The acrylic rods on their own felt unstable and i managed to break one try to remove a rock, but the waterweld made it rock steady:rolleyes: Stay tuned to see if it holds! It should, it's solid and extremely hard to tip over.
IMG_0486[1].JPG
IMG_0491[1].JPG
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0504.JPG

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jeff! I'm hoping to set it up inside the house, and start the cycle today. Hopefully I can make it to the etrc expo and get some stock for qt.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jeff! I'm hoping to set it up inside the house, and start the cycle today. Hopefully I can make it to the etrc expo and get some stock for qt.
I may see you there! System really looks awesome man. Once you're cycled, hit me up. I'd like to contribute a polyp or two. ;)

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :D. I didn't get the tank in today, but I put the rocks in the tank and took a couple shots. The dust remaining inside from drilling made the water nice and cloudy:
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I had to empty the tank and brace my floor yesterday because the tank shook a little too much when I walked by. I have older hardwood floors and there is a lot of deflection. Got it done though and then filled it again- this time with saltwater! Added a couple cubes of mysis and some dr tim's to start the cycle. So now we wait... still have a lot to get done while I wait. Need to build a floating canopy and an electronics chest, set up the apex, and ato as well. I'm wet! :D

IMG_0550.JPG

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t done much updating on this thread to say the least, but I’ve been reefing away! A few hiccups here and there, but overall it’s been going very well. I had to do a fluconazole treatment to battle bryopsis, which worked really well (I’ll post some picks later). Add a bunch of money and time and:
upload_2019-5-1_10-23-14.jpeg

The acros on the right and the clams are the newest additions. Everything is growing nicely

OP
OP
HOOPDEEZ

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I haven’t been the best at updating this thread lol, but it’s still kicking. If fact I just moved into a new house and have finally moved the tank as well! I set up a 40 gallon breeder at the new house and moved rocks and coral a little bit at a time over the course of two weeks. Then I got the tank moved with the 2 large rock structures, and moved most of the stuff back into it over a weeks time. It gave me a chance to battle some bubble algae along the way. Here are the latest FTS as well as the “temporary” read: additional 40b. I just added the sand an hour b4 the pic but not too cloudy. I’m super excited to have a basement that is currently unfinished, but has plenty of space for a fish room!

24C68767-5B14-4265-9693-E66B0C789AFC.jpeg 6C2CDF3C-DF2D-4643-B04B-B386E3D13EEB.jpeg A65C9B8D-E419-4CCA-8F36-CB810C60D577.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back