Hopefully I learn from my mistakes

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

Only 3 weeks in and already changing tanks.

3 weeks ago I got a 2nd hand fluval spec 19l 5g for $50 (there $200 new in Australia) which I was hoping I could set up as a small marine tank. Plan was one clown, a goby and some shrimp /crab. Got a couple small dry rocks, bag of sand and salt water mix. Started adding api starter straight away and thought it was magically work. Ammonia badge has been on alarm the whole time but all my test kits had been pretty stable.
After 2 weeks got a little clownfish, some snails and small peppermint shrimp as level looked stable and thought the starter mix was working. 5 days ago ammonia levels rose and last 2 days nitrite has gone up. I've been adding a thing for ammonia to try and keep the dangerous level down .
With the clown fish after a few days I noticed a few white spots and thought it might be the stress but visiting the shop all the clowns in the tank also have the spots now. They claim its not ich and just a bacteria infection and gave fresh water from a tank to do a dip.

After adding the clown and how I had the 5g set up I wanted just a little more space for a 2nd clown as he looked so lonely. So I found a fluval tank for sale in my area and bought a 34L/9G fluval flex

The plan is set up fluval flex and actually wait this time for the tank to fully cycle and don't just hope additive work. Once it is doing OK transfer snail and shrimp to it from other tank. Then if clown is still showing white spots use smaller tank as a hospital tank and treat for ich using seacham cupramime. I have to wait a few weeks to do this anyway as I can seem to find any available online in Australia so waiting for it to come from USA amazon. If he recovers move him to the flex and add a partner after he settles in.

The flex I got 2 nice big rocks and used some putty for it to sit stable. I've got a pump coming for the chamber and a jebao sw2 wavemaker just arrived In Mail. I cut the sponge filter in half and have carbon in its hole and filled the rest of 2nd chamber with bio balls. Light I wanted to add a led strip or 2 under so i can keep lid but for some reason amazon doesn't want to post the few I can find to Australia. So far I've just ordered a cheap waterproof 3w blue led bar ($12) because the standard light is very white and want a bit more of blueish colour. I know this won't really help with coral but will still be searching for led lights I can fit under lid. Plan for coral is just a few Low light corals like toadstool, gsp and chalice.I've added a dead prawn to get ammonia starting this time

I will be taking it slower on the 2nd tank. The 1st one after treating the clown I will turn into a freshwater marine tank after a good clean up as younger kids have been eyeing off some over the top ornaments and neon tetra

Attach pic is the fluval spec 19/5 and fluval flex 34/9

IMG_20210128_194744.jpg IMG_20210207_100027.jpg
This hobby is full of challenges and all of us hobbyists are continually learning how we can make our systems better!

Keep chasing the right thing to do, and continue on with your research! Welcome to a hobby that has consumed me since childhood, but would want it no other way! And welcome to R2R which is an amazing platform for you to learn, ask questions, and see others systems! Welcome!

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

3 weeks ago I got a 2nd hand fluval spec 19l 5g for $50 (there $200 new in Australia) which I was hoping I could set up as a small marine tank. Plan was one clown, a goby and some shrimp /crab. Got a couple small dry rocks, bag of sand and salt water mix. Started adding api starter straight away and thought it was magically work. Ammonia badge has been on alarm the whole time but all my test kits had been pretty stable.
After 2 weeks got a little clownfish, some snails and small peppermint shrimp as level looked stable and thought the starter mix was working. 5 days ago ammonia levels rose and last 2 days nitrite has gone up. I've been adding a thing for ammonia to try and keep the dangerous level down .
With the clown fish after a few days I noticed a few white spots and thought it might be the stress but visiting the shop all the clowns in the tank also have the spots now. They claim its not ich and just a bacteria infection and gave fresh water from a tank to do a dip.

After adding the clown and how I had the 5g set up I wanted just a little more space for a 2nd clown as he looked so lonely. So I found a fluval tank for sale in my area and bought a 34L/9G fluval flex

The plan is set up fluval flex and actually wait this time for the tank to fully cycle and don't just hope additive work. Once it is doing OK transfer snail and shrimp to it from other tank. Then if clown is still showing white spots use smaller tank as a hospital tank and treat for ich using seacham cupramime. I have to wait a few weeks to do this anyway as I can seem to find any available online in Australia so waiting for it to come from USA amazon. If he recovers move him to the flex and add a partner after he settles in.

The flex I got 2 nice big rocks and used some putty for it to sit stable. I've got a pump coming for the chamber and a jebao sw2 wavemaker just arrived In Mail. I cut the sponge filter in half and have carbon in its hole and filled the rest of 2nd chamber with bio balls. Light I wanted to add a led strip or 2 under so i can keep lid but for some reason amazon doesn't want to post the few I can find to Australia. So far I've just ordered a cheap waterproof 3w blue led bar ($12) because the standard light is very white and want a bit more of blueish colour. I know this won't really help with coral but will still be searching for led lights I can fit under lid. Plan for coral is just a few Low light corals like toadstool, gsp and chalice.I've added a dead prawn to get ammonia starting this time

I will be taking it slower on the 2nd tank. The 1st one after treating the clown I will turn into a freshwater marine tank after a good clean up as younger kids have been eyeing off some over the top ornaments and neon tetra

Hello.

Tank looks great. I also really like the Ammonia Badge as a product and concept. Welcome to R2R, mate!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back