Horizontal pressure question

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to try a new experiment. I wanted to have my rodi fill 2 5gallon buckets with a float switch on each. One will be for mixing water and other uses and the other would be used as an ato reservoir that would automatically fill itself. The thing is that my tank and where my rodi is at is across my basement. (25+ feet). I was wondering how much the horizontal distance would effect my pumps performance? I was planing on using a tunze nano.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note, youll want more than 1 failsafe float/sensor for your ATO if youre going to have it plumbed to a water supply.
You may wake up to a freshwater tank :)

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my BRS RODI unit pushing water to my ATO container 20 ft away and I notice no pressure loss whatsoever. Now granted I have a booster pump on it. Not sure what your setup is tho. Per the other poster, don't rely solely on a float switch, you may not regret it tomorrow, but some day :)

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a line with a float from my rodi in the garage to the top off tanks about 50 ft away and fill them and then wrap the line back up after theyre full and hang it next to the rodi. Works fine and i have no booster pump but i do have good water pressure.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my setup has been well, set up. My reservoir fills up just fine. The only problem is that the float valve doesn’t seem to want to stop the flow. Anyone ever have issues with a float valve not triggering?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so my setup has been well, set up. My reservoir fills up just fine. The only problem is that the float valve doesn’t seem to want to stop the flow. Anyone ever have issues with a float valve not triggering?
i have seen that depending on your line pressure. Are you running a booster pump on your RODI system?

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I’m just relying on the pressure from the rodi’s output. Though I do have a booster pump on the way. The pressure gauge reads at 45ish .(not currently home so I can’t give you an exact reading) Can low pressure cause a float valve to not function properly?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't consider 45 to be high. The ones you get for under ten bucks aren't the best quality too haha. I use them but they all really support a pressure switch that shuts off the water.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just not sure if I have a faulty float valve or not. The bucket closer to my rodi has a float , and it works perfectly. (So far).and I sure as hell realized I needed a shutoff valve closer to my reservoir.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back