• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Horrible experience with SB Reef Lights (unfortunately)

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m disappointed to report my experience with @SB Reef Lights on here, but I feel like I’ve done everything I can otherwise.

I bought a used sBox Elite 16 inch from a local seller but it didn’t come with mounting arms.

On 1/27/19 I used the message contact feature on sbreeflights.com to send a message asking whether I could purchase just the mounting arms for my light and, if so, how much.

On 1/29/19 I got a message back saying it was $40. I confirmed I’d like to purchase the arms and they sent me a Paypal invoice a few minutes later. I immediately paid the invoice.

I didn’t hear anything back - no confirmation, no shipping information.

On 2/8/19 I sent a message inquiring about my order. - No response.

On 2/14/19 I sent a message inquiring about my order. - No response.

I also tried calling several times but got a message that their voicemail was full so I couldn’t leave a message. No one ever answered the phone.

On 2/17/19 I sent a message on R2R asking about my order. - No response.

On 2/20/19 I got a message stating “Dear customer, your legs will he shipped out tomorrow by US mail we just had a lot of people order legs and we were waiting for our shipment. I apologize for the delay.”

I appreciate that response but was frustrated it took over 20 days to tell me that. And still, no tracking number.

I waited one week and didn’t receive my order.

On 2/27/19 I sent a message asking for my order to be canceled and refunded. I said that if I received the legs and had gotten my refund, I’d mail them back.

On 2/28/19 I received a message that said “Dear customer, I have sent the request in.”

I called the company and left a message yesterday afternoon (3/4/19) around 3:00 PM asking about my order/refund and asking for a call back.

Well, it is 7:00 PM on 3/5/19.

I have not received my order (which I assume means it didn’t actually ship when they claimed it would), my money has not been refunded and I cannot get anyone from SB Reef Lights to give me the time of day.

This is likely the worst customer service I’ve ever received from a company and it’s very frustrating and disappointing because I actually want to use the light! I have seen people’s reviews and they seem to have good results. I’m still holding out hope this can get resolved.

OP
OP
Tyler Caviness

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update-
After looking through SB Reef Lights’ Facebook page, they put in a comment (to someone else) that the best way to contact them was at [email protected]. As an aside, I noticed multiple comments from other people on their page complaining about lack of communication and delay with orders.

So yesterday evening (3/6/19) I sent them an email with a link to this post and asked if it was a situation they’d like to address.

Last night I received the following email-

“I'm not on R2R so I can't defend. But I was told you just wanted a refund. If the refund hasn't been processed I will do it immediately. I do apologize for the inconvenience. I placed the order to be shipped, as we do not have the legs in stock. I will make sure your order has been cancelled and refund your money.

Collette Herman
Owner/CEO Sb Reeflights”

My refund did process last night.

I am dumbfounded as to why I wasn’t informed on 1/29/19 that the legs weren’t in stock. I am also dumbfounded as to why I was told on 2/20/19 that my order would be shipping the following day.

So, case closed, but this is now just a PSA.

alfani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for sharing. i also order something from the site about 2 weeks ago but i have not seen one single email or confirmation. it says ship within 3 days but nothing so far. i'll work with paypal for full refund if email does not work

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap, I wish I would have read this post before ordering the other day. Seems I am now in the same boat, unfortunately. I am starting to wonder if Reefbright would have been a better choice?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the question what are you going to do about legs for the light.

Have you thought about 3d printer

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is very unfortunate and sad when seller don't take their customers orders seriously, it seems like they don't care about customer service or repeat business....

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
I've dealt with them many times, and the owners are nice people. Their problem is they're a small company with not enough employees. They do that to keep costs down, but at the same time, it affects their customer service.

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered two 48" sBar Supplemental Actinic lights from them a couple weeks ago. I too was frustrated with the lack of response as I emailed and called several times to get a status of my order. I went through the website and got to the order details and found the lights shipped which I received on Monday. I was warned ahead of time from a local reefer that their CS sucks but the product is good so I went ahead and ordered them. The lights are awesome but the customer service is severely lacking. My only concern now is if they fail during the warranty period the hassle I will have to go through for support.

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered two 48" sBar Supplemental Actinic lights from them a couple weeks ago. I too was frustrated with the lack of response as I emailed and called several times to get a status of my order. I went through the website and got to the order details and found the lights shipped which I received on Monday. I was warned ahead of time from a local reefer that their CS sucks but the product is good so I went ahead and ordered them. The lights are awesome but the customer service is severely lacking. My only concern now is if they fail during the warranty period the hassle I will have to go through for support.
So it sounds like it takes a couple of weeks to arrive rather than a few days. Thanks for commenting.

OP
OP
Tyler Caviness

Tyler Caviness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the question what are you going to do about legs for the light.

Have you thought about 3d printer

That’s a good idea. I made several attempts at making some mounting arms that didn’t ever work out.

I ultimately bought Kessils instead. I have two 360s over my other tank and have had several interactions with their customer service department that were always very prompt and helpful.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Back