horseshoe crab in aquarium

mikesilverado8888

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2015
Messages
335
Reaction score
48
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have horseshoe crab? I just got one did even know you could put one in a tank. What are the pros and cons and what ppl do when they get to big? I know they can get up to 12"
 
I used to have them in my 125 years ago.
I didn't have them long enough to get to big.
They are good sand sifters.
 
Don't worry, it won't get to 12" in your tank, or even 3". I can collect tiny babies here in NY by the thousands, but I don't. When they are small they live in tidal estuaries in very fine mud. They live on worms and any organic matter they find and they find a lot of it here. In a reef tank, they will starve. They also bury themselves in the mud whenever they rest, which is most of the time when they are well fed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new