Horseshoe Crab Molting Deformity

AlphaKodi

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my horseshoe crabs for 3 years, they have molted several times over the years however I encountered an issue that non of the forms I have read have covered

my horseshoe crab had a molt but something went wrong, he cracked the shell open before fully exiting the shell and then he got stuck, I helped him out of it because his new shell had hardened and now his back and telson are pretty badly shaped (they shaped to the impression of the old shell pushing against it) when I held the opening open for him he climbed out on his own but this is extremely unusual.
has anyone seen or had this happen? I have not seen any forms on it and he seems ok asides no longer digging at the moment, but he looks pretty bent up and i am concerned it will heavily affect his ability to survive.

does anyone know if he will regain his old shape from the next couple of molts or will the next molt be more dangerous/leave him this way?
This is the South/Northern American variety of horseshoe crab for insight on what to expect.

I have him isolated in a tank that I plumbed up to the main tank he came from but I'm unsure what to expect so any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!
 
I have had my horseshoe crabs for 3 years, they have molted several times over the years however I encountered an issue that non of the forms I have read have covered

my horseshoe crab had a molt but something went wrong, he cracked the shell open before fully exiting the shell and then he got stuck, I helped him out of it because his new shell had hardened and now his back and telson are pretty badly shaped (they shaped to the impression of the old shell pushing against it) when I held the opening open for him he climbed out on his own but this is extremely unusual.
has anyone seen or had this happen? I have not seen any forms on it and he seems ok asides no longer digging at the moment, but he looks pretty bent up and i am concerned it will heavily affect his ability to survive.

does anyone know if he will regain his old shape from the next couple of molts or will the next molt be more dangerous/leave him this way?
This is the South/Northern American variety of horseshoe crab for insight on what to expect.

I have him isolated in a tank that I plumbed up to the main tank he came from but I'm unsure what to expect so any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!
Can you post a picture?
It is really all about the severity of the deformity.
As I think you know, they cannot repair their shells except at molting time. I’m more familiar with crustaceans, but I have seen minor damage be repaired in horseshoe crabs….
Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new