Horseshoe Crab Molting Deformity

AlphaKodi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my horseshoe crabs for 3 years, they have molted several times over the years however I encountered an issue that non of the forms I have read have covered

my horseshoe crab had a molt but something went wrong, he cracked the shell open before fully exiting the shell and then he got stuck, I helped him out of it because his new shell had hardened and now his back and telson are pretty badly shaped (they shaped to the impression of the old shell pushing against it) when I held the opening open for him he climbed out on his own but this is extremely unusual.
has anyone seen or had this happen? I have not seen any forms on it and he seems ok asides no longer digging at the moment, but he looks pretty bent up and i am concerned it will heavily affect his ability to survive.

does anyone know if he will regain his old shape from the next couple of molts or will the next molt be more dangerous/leave him this way?
This is the South/Northern American variety of horseshoe crab for insight on what to expect.

I have him isolated in a tank that I plumbed up to the main tank he came from but I'm unsure what to expect so any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my horseshoe crabs for 3 years, they have molted several times over the years however I encountered an issue that non of the forms I have read have covered

my horseshoe crab had a molt but something went wrong, he cracked the shell open before fully exiting the shell and then he got stuck, I helped him out of it because his new shell had hardened and now his back and telson are pretty badly shaped (they shaped to the impression of the old shell pushing against it) when I held the opening open for him he climbed out on his own but this is extremely unusual.
has anyone seen or had this happen? I have not seen any forms on it and he seems ok asides no longer digging at the moment, but he looks pretty bent up and i am concerned it will heavily affect his ability to survive.

does anyone know if he will regain his old shape from the next couple of molts or will the next molt be more dangerous/leave him this way?
This is the South/Northern American variety of horseshoe crab for insight on what to expect.

I have him isolated in a tank that I plumbed up to the main tank he came from but I'm unsure what to expect so any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!
Can you post a picture?
It is really all about the severity of the deformity.
As I think you know, they cannot repair their shells except at molting time. I’m more familiar with crustaceans, but I have seen minor damage be repaired in horseshoe crabs….
Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back