Hot water in rodi

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just plumbed in everything for my 6 stage rodi. Everything's new. I didn't realize that my blue handled faucet is actually hot water till I burned the @#$% out of myself. Not to mention I don't think it's set up correctly, the amount of water coming out the waste line is not normal. I will assume all the filters and membrane may or may not be cooked/heavy metal contamination?
20211015_174041.jpg

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering is everything contaminated or damaged, we've got some really hot water!! I totally forgot the lines are reversed, just bought house and apparently I'm not as smart as I think I am.

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure the membrane has a spec for water temp range, look it up

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
160 degree water is ridiculous, it’s hazardous to have it that hot, I’d turn it down.

Phistergosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
160 is pretty high. recommendation is 120. average is usually around 140. you waste energy keeping the water that hot.

i once accidently used hot water (still mixed with some cold but pretty hot overall). The membrane must be fine though because the water leaving the membrane is only 2 ppm and my DI doesnt run out quickly. you could attempt to make water and see how quickly the DI resin is depleted

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always heard that hot water will almost instantly destroy the membrane, although I honestly never knew why. If it were me I'd hook it up properly and see if it works or not, just make sure to check the rejection rate, waste to produce to waste ratio, and the tds to make sure its working.

Also, as mentioned already 160 degree water from your tap is absolutely too much and somewhat dangerous. I'd be worried that there is something wrong with the water heater, I don't know of any (although I'm no expert) that goes over 140.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The membrane glue breaks down at 120 also the o ring seals are rubber which depending on what type it is could be an issue.
I would say replumb it to the cold and check the tds out of the RO to see if you killed it. You should get ~99% salt rejection when it’s working. The sediment filter will be fine that’s just wound fiber. I’m not sure about the carbon since they have binder in there to hold the carbon together and a rubber gasket. It’s probably EDPM though which is good to 120 but in practice is good to at least 140 depending on the pressure.
From a home safety perspective it’s not a good idea to keep your hot water that high. 120 is a set point that will almost never burn you but feel very hot. 140 will produce a 3rd degree burn in 30 seconds. 150 in less than 2.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
normal water heater thermostats are set at 120...and can maybe be turned up 20 degrees from there without tripping....had to go to great lengths to find a commercial one that went to 180 for a hot water washer unit i have....so either yours is very old from before current standards or defective...too much heat and a bad pressure relief valve could equal boom

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back