OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It covered in bubbles and green stuff. And looks like a dead coral.

So bubbles means it's dead?

I believe it is covered in diatoms.

It is supposed to be a branching coralline (hydrolithon gardineri).

https://www.marinelifephotography.com/marine/seaweeds/hydrolithon-gardineri.htm

Here are some more pics.

Here is what it looked like before the diatoms started and before it had bubbles on it.

20190210_175623.jpg 20190210_175352.jpg

Now with the diatoms and bubbles. I think I'm going to need more snails lol.

20190216_175658.jpg

20190216_175654.jpg

20190216_175631.jpg

20190216_175614.jpg

20190216_175605.jpg

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that’s dead.

@saltyfilmfolks

I would hold off on giving advice to anyone, especially in the beginners forum.

You have stated that an ATO is absolutely necessary and the "heart of a reef tank" or some BS like that. You also said a 1% swing in parameters can be detrimental to a reef tank. Now you are telling me that something is dead, when it is not. You really should learn how to filter out things that are your opinion and things that are truly facts.

At the very least you should begin your sentences with "in my opinion".

I'm glad I reached out to the vendor instead of blinding believing what you said, hopefully others have not suffered from your bad advise.

Here are some pics of my macro algea frag which I took today.

In my opinion, this thing is still alive and kicking just fine.

20190217_112745.jpg 20190217_112731.jpg 20190217_112711.jpg 20190217_112619.jpg 20190217_112535.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold off on giving advice to anyone, especially in the beginners forum.
I’ve been Reefing for ten plus years. And have been giving advice innthe beginners forms as a member of the Reef2Reef Reef squad for close to three years.

That’s a branching corraline it rarely does well in new tanks and is pretty difficult in other tanks. I’ve had them.
That’s dying or dead. It’s coverd in a slime bacteria as the bubbles are easy to see.

Good luck.

#reefsquad
Does this look ok to anyone?
503BBE86-7A45-4193-A582-C9DC817EDD55.jpeg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately dead. @Philipgonzales3 It seems your very reluctant to take advice or even suggestions unless it's what you want to hear. You just told a very experienced hobbyist who loves to help others to not give advice and down right rude? I'd suggest you slow down as I've read your other threads and you can learn a lot from us who's been doing this a long time. We are here to help and your rudeness is not appreciated or appropriate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really you guys think this is dead?

20190217_153343.jpg 20190217_153344.jpg

You would think that someone who has been doing this 10 years would know that an ATO is not 100% needed.

I'm sorry but I think you guys on here are way too closed minded. I agree that an ATO is recommended, but when an "experienced" reefer says that it's down right necessary when in fact it's not, just hurts their credibility.

For someone to pass on their own opinion as if it were fact, in my opinion, just shows that they either don't know what they are talking about or at the very least cannot be trusted to give unbiased advice.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a successful reef tank with no sump, no skimmer, no auto top off. I wouldn't recommend that to a newbie due to the amount of work that it involved compared to a much easier way with a sump, skimmer and auto top off. As you run a reef tank for many years you will learn stability is key. Members try to help from personal experience and I think your reading it all wrong. Wish you the best with your tank sir, no matter how you take someone's post who's trying to help they just want you to succeed.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been Reefing for ten plus years. And have been giving advice innthe beginners forms as a member of the Reef2Reef Reef squad for close to three years.

That’s a branching corraline it rarely does well in new tanks and is pretty difficult in other tanks. I’ve had them.
That’s dying or dead. It’s coverd in a slime bacteria as the bubbles are easy to see.

Good luck.

#reefsquad
Does this look ok to anyone?
503BBE86-7A45-4193-A582-C9DC817EDD55.jpeg
From this pic it looks dead. Geez, people are just trying to help you. If it lives then great. Salty is a very experienced reefer with a willingness to always help others. I think you were a bit harsh but that's just my opinion.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a successful reef tank with no sump, no skimmer, no auto top off. I wouldn't recommend that to a newbie due to the amount of work that it involved compared to a much easier way with a sump, skimmer and auto top off. As you run a reef tank for many years you will learn stability is key. Members try to help from personal experience and I think your reading it all wrong. Wish you the best with your tank sir, no matter how you take someone's post who's trying to help they just want you to succeed.

See, I can definetly agree with that. I have a sump and skimmer, and an ATO is planned for after the move.

I do not try to be an unreasonable person, rather I try to be open minded and logical. To many I guess this comes off as not taking others advice well. I refuse to be a sheep and just do something because someone said that is the way it is.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From this pic it looks dead. Geez, people are just trying to help you. If it lives then great. Salty is a very experienced reefer with a willingness to always help others. I think you were a bit harsh but that's just my opinion.

@saltyfilmfolks told me to get it out of the tank, and that it was dead. There was no question of it living in his mind.

Maybe it is dead for all I know. I have had other reefers and the vendor tell me it is not dead unless it is totally white. Looks plenty purple to me still. My issue is not whether it is dead or not but how someone could say that something is 100% one way, when that might not be the case.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, I can definetly agree with that. I have a sump and skimmer, and an ATO is planned for after the move.

I do not try to be an unreasonable person, rather I try to be open minded and logical. To many I guess this comes off as not taking others advice well. I refuse to be a sheep and just do something because someone said that is the way it is.
I don't think anyone wants you to do it the way they said and that's it. It's up to you as a responsible aquarist to provide the upmost care to the animals you buy. You ask a question and we will answer to the best of our ability from our own experiences. I wouldn't tell you to do it my way or you'll fail. I will give you my experience in hope that it helps in some way, not that it's the only way.

OP
OP
Philipgonzales3

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone wants you to do it the way they said and that's it. It's up to you as a responsible aquarist to provide the upmost care to the animals you buy. You ask a question and we will answer to the best of our ability from our own experiences. I wouldn't tell you to do it my way or you'll fail. I will give you my experience in hope that it helps in some way, not that it's the only way.

Thank you for the info and I truly appreciate the advice from you, everyone, even @saltyfilmfolks.

It's just confusing for a newb like me to hear certain information and have someone present it as being a fact.

I don't care whether I am right or wrong or whether someone's advice is right or wrong, but I'd feel a whole lot more comfortable if someone who has been giving advice for years and will probably do so for years to come, to say hey this is what I think. Instead of saying this is what it is 100%. Maybe I am just splitting hairs here, but I think that giving someone full disclosure that there may be a doubt about something is the right thing to do.

Like, hey that thing is probably dead. Go ahead and do X, Y, Z and if it does A, B, C then that will confirm it.

As far as this frag goes, I think it was just covered in diatoms, like everything else in my tank is at the moment. A little turkey baster action has it looking pretty good to me. It is my opinion that it just needed to be rid of the diatoms that were sufforrcating it.

It looks to be alive to me still, but I welcome anyone's opinion. If it is in fact dead please tell me why as I truly don't have much experience with any type of frag or macro algea.

20190217_172016.jpg 20190217_172001.jpg 20190217_171954.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back