How accurate is the salifert calcium test ?

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the API kit for years now and i havent had issues growing the 70 corals i have. But i decided to try to salifert kit. And the kits are way off from eachother.

Api is reading my water at 440 right now.

The salifert i tried three time and got three different results. Ive used these kite before so i know how to do them. Make sure air bubbles are outa the syringe. Make sure crystals are even with the scoop.. 10 drops of the dropper isnt too hard lol. Shake for 10 sec.. squirt to the 2ml line swirl and keep going until it turns blue. Well the first test mine turned blue on the 2nd line. 2nd test it turned blue on the 0 line. 3rd test blue on the 3rd line.

Did api 3 three times and everytime i got 440. But this stupid salifert kit is just off each time.

0 is 500 2 is 490 and 3 is 485. All of which are 40-50 points higher then the API kit.

Honestly i dont care how bad some people think API is ive always had consistant results with all their kits. And salifert is different each time you do it or each kit.

I have magnesium kits from salifert where one reads 1250 the other reads 1450.

My salinity is 1.027 btw. I keep it a little higher because ive noticed my lps puff up more.

Anyway. I dunno what to believe now the 440 or the 485 or 490 or 500.

Anyone else have issues with these salifert kits ? Or is my calcium really 490 lol.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have always used Salifert. (I just like saying the name) They are the more popular of the test kits. I do not have a problem with API either. I think API lacks some of the sensitivity, but will not give wrong readings (not inc ammonia debate in that :) )

I would say you are having a testing issue on Salifert, but more of maybe a margin of error type thing than you doing anything wrong. By that I mean the spoon and dropper on the kit are not exactly precise, hence the margin.

My thoughts, if everything is great in the tank for a long time don’t make changes. What is your alk, if your alk is on the low side I would think so would the calc so they would be balanced, but that’s not a 100% thing. Get an icp test done, before you send out the sample run your own tests and write down the #’s to see who is right. Also, have a fellow reefer in the area or LFS double check.

But if everything is good, don’t stress on the # other than keep it level

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back