How accurate is your thermometer?

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to invest in an inkbird temp controller. $30 safe gaurd... I'm cool with that.

So during the summer my tank was reaching 80 during the day and 77 is my heater setting, so 77 at night. Not a perfect trend but all the corals and anemones and fish seemed great so no sweat.

I install the inkbird and the screen says my temp is 80f. I read the package and see how there is a differential you can set for the proper temp to "calibrate" it. So I set it at 77f. Then the thoughts start coming. What if my thermometer is off? I've been using it since I set up the tank 11 months ago so nothing seemed out of sorts. I'm destined to figure ot out now.

Go to the LFS and pick up 2 normal thermometer for $3 each and a digital for $14. ALL 3 SAY 80F!!

So during the summer I was reaching the 83-85f mark. Obviously not my target but luckily no causalities. I have recalibrated my inkbird and now use 3 thermometers to take my reading. A bit excessive maybe but after all... I'm a reef addict.

WHATS YOUR TEMP STORY?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Fluke 561 IF thermo and an oldschool glass hydrometer/thermometer as my most reliable means of referencing with my Reefkeeper.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20191019-131432_Chrome.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick heaters are notoriously inaccurate and my personal experience with inkbird is that it’s not much better. I’m pretty good at estimating temperature by sticking a finger in the tank, so that’s my first reference. I also run three separate controllers on my system, so as long as they’re largely in sync I’m good. Ice water test is also also a good way to verify calibration (though accuracy at 32 doesn’t necessarily mean accuracy at 80). I think with temp good enough is usually good enough.

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can tell with your finger? I hope to achieve that one day. I like the inkbird for the idea if my stick fails it will at least have some protection

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can tell with your finger? I hope to achieve that one day.

LOL, that does sound a bit goofy doesn’t it! But, yes, within about the same 2-3 degree accuracy of stick heaters. I always verify with a proper thermometer though.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to invest in an inkbird temp controller. $30 safe gaurd... I'm cool with that.

So during the summer my tank was reaching 80 during the day and 77 is my heater setting, so 77 at night. Not a perfect trend but all the corals and anemones and fish seemed great so no sweat.

I install the inkbird and the screen says my temp is 80f. I read the package and see how there is a differential you can set for the proper temp to "calibrate" it. So I set it at 77f. Then the thoughts start coming. What if my thermometer is off? I've been using it since I set up the tank 11 months ago so nothing seemed out of sorts. I'm destined to figure ot out now.

Go to the LFS and pick up 2 normal thermometer for $3 each and a digital for $14. ALL 3 SAY 80F!!

So during the summer I was reaching the 83-85f mark. Obviously not my target but luckily no causalities. I have recalibrated my inkbird and now use 3 thermometers to take my reading. A bit excessive maybe but after all... I'm a reef addict.

WHATS YOUR TEMP STORY?
I only use glass thermometers (2), I do have inkbird controller for chiller. No issuse. Temperature same as glass thermometer

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with temperature, I think stability is more important than the actual number.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it stunning that after how many decades of aquariums we still question the actual temperature of our water? Mind boggling.

I was pondering this exact question myself lately as I consider a new controller. What will I use to accurately calibrate the darn thing with?

I wonder how much a true lab grade, already calibrated thermometer, will cost that stays calibrated for a guaranteed amount of time due to the nature of its construction?

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree seeing what my tank has been running the past year. However I would like to bring it to the 77f range. How long of a taper should I do? A degree a day? Or can I just drop it to 77f and be ok?
Livestock handles drops in temperature better than increases so I think a degree a day should be good.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digitals thermometers are just garbage, get 2 old school ones they will last the life of your tank and are accurate.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it stunning that after how many decades of aquariums we still question the actual temperature of our water? Mind boggling.

I was pondering this exact question myself lately as I consider a new controller. What will I use to accurately calibrate the darn thing with?

I wonder how much a true lab grade, already calibrated thermometer, will cost that stays calibrated for a guaranteed amount of time due to the nature of its construction?

Fluke Instruments makes some of the best testing equipment around, The handheld IR fluke I had always read dead on with my oldschool glass hydrometer/thermometer combo, I trusted it and it never really needed calibration adjustments when checked.

However, your question is relevant for sure, lab grade probe type digital thermometers generally run about 100-120USD.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you got me thinking.

The fine print:
  • 【Higher Accuracy】Infrared thermometer guns measure surface temperatures ranging from -58°F (-50°C) to 716°F (380°C).Accuracy: ±1.5% or ±1.5℃
You'll know when your heater is stuck on by the bubbles in the tank and this instrument will read between 98.5℃ and 101.5℃ :)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ipinion;
To me its more important to keep my tank stable than worry if my temp controller reads 80 when its really 77 or 77 when its really 80. Most corals and fish we buy can live between 75 and 85 as long as we do not deprive them of things like oxygen or stress them with something like high alkalinity and low nutrients or excess nitrates.
You can check a controller / heater with 2 different cooking probes just to get an idea of what the real temp might be compared to what they say.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it stunning that after how many decades of aquariums we still question the actual temperature of our water?

Actually, I don’t find it surprising at all if absolute accuracy is what you’re going for. Whether temp, ph, salinity, etc., we are at the ‘mercy’ of devices that have inherent error and/or the tendency to drift over time. That’s why most devices claim precision but not absolute accuracy (and some promise neither). Was debating this the other day in relation to alkalinity. I have a triton, and it appears to be quite precise .... versus a hanna tester that also appears to be quite precise .... but they reliably differ from each other by almost one full degree of dkh. Which is more accurate? Does it matter?

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My company has to throw away the calibrated thermometers they get. Because there is no way to prove recalibration on a thermometer. But they are the most accurate thermometers. I back check them all the time with a calibrated water bath and the thermometer is right on every time even 2 years after they are supposed to be thrown away.
20191019_224115.jpg
20191019_224131.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate all the input. It's amazing how I never thought about this until I really started seeing my tank flourish as well as accumulated a few show pieces. I watched a brs spotlight on their new heaters and it got me thinking that I was really gambling relying on just a stick heater with no redundancy. Then as I start to dive down the rabbit hole I realize how my thoughts of my tank ranging from 77 to 80/81 have been what I would consider pretty off. It's also amazing to see how our tank inhabitants can adapt to diff parameters within our tanks as well. There is always something to learn in this hobby and as long as I stay invested there is always something fascinating as well.

20191019_201253.jpg IMG_20191013_131445_99.jpg IMG_20191014_191947_99.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've gone through a ton of digital thermometers, and most are just ok at best.
I've bought several of the same brand at a time and even new they all had a difference of 1-2 degrees.
I decided to give the Hanna Checktemp thermometer a try last year./
I was fairly surprised when they both show the same exact temperature, down to the tenth of a degree.
So that's the ones I'm sticking with.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back