How aggressive is a Pygmy Cherub Angelfish?

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I try to stick with peaceful fish in my tanks, but I like the idea of this little angelfish. I don't want to get a bully though. How have yours done with peaceful tankmates? I have:
Mandarin Dragonet
Tailspot Blenny
Firefish
Yellow Watchman

And I plan to add:
Blackline Blenny
and maybe a Pajama Cardinalfish and/or Pink Streaked Wrasse

So all pretty small fish in a 30g. Thanks,
--Kyle

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of fish for a 30 gallon. The minimum I would put an dwarf angel is a 55. The 30 with all those fish will cause massive stress on the angel and he will show aggression...then probably get sick and die.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of fish for a 30 gallon. The minimum I would put an dwarf angel is a 55. The 30 with all those fish will cause massive stress on the angel and he will show aggression...then probably get sick and die.

Planning on a total of 6-7 very small bioload fish (except the angel if I went that route), and all very peaceful. It's the smallest angel and some sites suggest 24g as a minimum tank size for it. Seems reasonable for a 3" max fish. I also might end up moving the Mandarin to my 120g.

But the aggression is well noted (and my biggest concern) and why I'm *probably* not going to end up getting one. Thank you,
--Kyle

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That little thing? Not much at all.
Quite peaceful and hardly

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely wouldn't do one with that small of a tank and that many small and peaceful fish. If you had a larger tank with fish that were better able to hold their own against a potentially aggressive fish then I would say go for it, but definitely not with what you have.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 1 in my 120. Very peaceful and constantly on the move picking at the rocks. Had to take him out as he started picking at all my acros after 2 months and I feed 4 times a day.
All acros were stressed but some people have good luck with them.
To small of a tank imo for it though.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on a total of 6-7 very small bioload fish (except the angel if I went that route), and all very peaceful. It's the smallest angel and some sites suggest 24g as a minimum tank size for it. Seems reasonable for a 3" max fish. I also might end up moving the Mandarin to my 120g.

But the aggression is well noted (and my biggest concern) and why I'm *probably* not going to end up getting one. Thank you,
--Kyle

Most sites make little attempt at realistic sizes for fish. The same sites also claim that a 12 inch Blue Tang could be perfectly fine in a 75 gallon Tank (4 feet long by 18 inches wide). The other thing that you aren't considering is how active these pygmy angels are. Pygmy Angels and Dwarf Angels are very active fish and need space so they don't feel cramped and a 24-30 gallon just doesn't provide enough. Generally I recommend 3 feet minimum horizontal swimming length for Pygmy Angels and 4 foot long minimum for Dwarf Angels. Much better odds of success.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starkii damsel makes a nice substitute for a dwarf angel.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...The other thing that you aren't considering is how active these pygmy angels are. Pygmy Angels and Dwarf Angels are very active fish and need space so they don't feel cramped and a 24-30 gallon just doesn't provide enough. Generally I recommend 3 feet minimum horizontal swimming length for Pygmy Angel's...

Thanks all. I think I will skip it. Just too risky on the aggression in a small tank.

Side note though, this is the smallest angel and barely bigger than a damsel, which we all know are also very active (and probably more aggressive). Also, this tank actually is 3 feet horizontal. :) The IM 30L is pretty good dimensions for small swimmers. But at any rate, I think I'll skip it. Thanks,
--Kyle

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised at the responses above. Better luck than I!

I’ve had 3 total, 2 in a 125 as a “pair”. One in a 40B at the shop I use to work for years ago. I like them because of their attitude, but made sure everything was substantially bigger in the 125.

They were little *****. Half of the ones I’ve sold have been returned, despite my warning.

Bad idea in a 30g. I think Starkii was a great recommendation for an alternative.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had luck with them combined with a flame angel and juvenile emperor. At first the Pygmy tried messing with the flame. But after he stood his ground it stoped. They were all roughly the same size.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were little *****. Half of the ones I’ve sold have been returned, despite my warning.

Bad idea in a 30g. I think Starkii was a great recommendation for an alternative.

All good info. Sounds like you've had a lot of experience with them. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your feedback!
--Kyle

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 125 and as stated above in 30 they will go stir crazy and become aggressive because they are such active fish, I would say minimum 75.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back