How are blackbox's budget?

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was just wondering what makes blackbox's a solid budget option, when i check on amazon the Viparspectra 165W LED black box is 159$ while the Kessil A80 is 174$ ??

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was just wondering what makes blackbox's a solid budget option, when i check on amazon the Viparspectra 165W LED black box is 159$ while the Kessil A80 is 174$ ??
It’s also not budget because count on buying a new one every year.

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sorry i dont understand. Do you just mean its more cost efficient over time ? because when i was thinking budget light i was thinking retail price.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sorry i dont understand. Do you just mean its more cost efficient over time ? because when i was thinking budget light i was thinking retail price.
Well if you need it only for one year then yes that makes sense. But when you look at the term budget on a macro level don’t you have to account for accumulated depreciation and have to factor in the cost and frequency of replacing the light ?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So @Hemmdog how many have you replaced in the last 10 years you have been reefing? I thought so.
Well my 3rd one in a year just broke yesterday. Not just replying trying to help you out and save you money for my own health

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it. I wouldn’t worry about depreciation either, it’s a light fixture not an office building. If you are satisfied with the reviews get it. LEDs are unbelievably reliable, and most expensive ones fail just as much as the cheap ones.

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks everyone for your feedback, i was completely clueless here lol.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 old very plain black boxes. The have worked flawlessly for years. Fans aren't noisy, all the lights are working etc. Sorry for your bad luck with them.
If your on a budget I think they are a fine investment ( not the fancy ones that will text You when Your Lady wants you to call ) ! LOL

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog check this out:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...=a2g1y.12024536.productList_2152218.subject_1

They use better fans than others I have had and much more quiet.

Go to my build thread and do the mods I did.

Believe me, there are very positive experiences with black boxes. I am sure there are bad but as stated above, major brands have failures. I won't name a big one that if you search fails right after the two year warranty. I have three of them that were given to me gutted and put LED experiments in them. ;)

OP
OP
actik

actik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 old very plain black boxes. The have worked flawlessly for years. Fans aren't noisy, all the lights are working etc. Sorry for your bad luck with them.
If your on a budget I think they are a fine investment ( not the fancy ones that will text You when Your Lady wants you to call ) ! LOL
if i got one of those id never get to enjoy my tank, too many calls haha

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog check this out:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...=a2g1y.12024536.productList_2152218.subject_1

They use better fans than others I have had and much more quiet.

Go to my build thread and do the mods I did.

Believe me, there are very positive experiences with black boxes. I am sure there are bad but as stated above, major brands have failures. I won't name a big one that if you search fails right after the two year warranty. I have three of them that were given to me gutted and put LED experiments in them. ;)
Oh man your mods are awesome! That’s next level ! That cooling seems really good to actually. Well I stand corrected, diamonds in the rough.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back