How can I install a float switch on these containers?

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y'all,

I got these containers from a friend several weeks ago.
I would like to use them for auto water changer. Do I need to use something like a uni-seal to install a float valve?

The container - approximately 40 gallon capacity ea.:
tempImage80KJf8.jpg

Float valve

1604070720772.png

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The float valve has a seal on it like a bulkhead, keep that on the wet side. That should be enough, just drill in the side of the container at the aprox max level you want then install from the inside. Easy peasy

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The float valve has a seal on it like a bulkhead, keep that on the wet side. That should be enough, just drill in the side of the container at the aprox max level you want then install from the inside. Easy peasy
Agree, this is about the only way of doing it. The only concern I have is the curve of the container. They do make special bulkheads for curved containers that you can get. You may need extra gasket material to get a good seal.
They make what is called a Uniseal specifically for curved containers you could use. You drill the hole, insert the seal, and slide a PVC pipe through it. Then you would need to add the fittings to attach the float valve.

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1604098703356498799006114850344.jpg

Mine is ran straight from the rodi with a basic Lowe's valve-switch to manually turn on and off. The day before I get ready to do a water change I just open the valve-switch.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same float valve on a round container. Drill the hole HIGH & set the float to turn off just below it.
No water no leak. OR from the flat extension on the top make the float work on close to a 90 degree angle.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back