How can I plumb UV for parasites into return pump?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 300 gallons. I don’t know how many gph the return pump is, but for the 80 watt uv sterilizer I need 500gph to be effective for parasite control.

How can I plumb the UV into the return pump?

please use simple words because I don’t know anything about plumbing.

Attached is a picture of my sump. The 2 gray pipes is the overflow water and the clear pipe is the return water.

If I make the flow 500gph will that be too slow for my tank turnover?

image.jpg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or I can just put an independent UV pump in the sump that puts the clean water back into the top of the tank.

theocorals537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a tee in the plumbing with a ball valve , circulating back into the sump, you can control the flow through the sterilizer. If you try to tie it into the main return line , you will never reach exposure time that you want. There are charts that show the exposure rating needed to kill pathogens and parasites. They need much more exposure in saltwater than freshwater. I had a 15 watt uv running its own pump at about 180 gph.

theocorals537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a tee in the plumbing with a ball valve , circulating back into the sump, you can control the flow through the sterilizer. If you try to tie it into the main return line , you will never reach exposure time that you want. There are charts that show the exposure rating needed to kill pathogens and parasites. They need much more exposure in saltwater than freshwater. I had a 15 watt uv running its own pump at about 180 gph.
I meant to say gate valve ,

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like 5/8" or 3/4" tubing you have on your return. If so, it is unlikely you are getting 500 gph now. Probably more like 300-400 gph. The UV will add some additional restriction and flow reduction. I would try to increase the line size to 1" if you can and then you can probably put the sterilizer in line if you choose, depending on your pump selection. I think it would be better to get a separate pump for the sterilizer going back to the tank to increase your overall flow. I would look for a pump that is rated for about 1000 gph to give you 500 with the head loss.

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 300 gallons. I don’t know how many gph the return pump is, but for the 80 watt uv sterilizer I need 500gph to be effective for parasite control.

How can I plumb the UV into the return pump?

please use simple words because I don’t know anything about plumbing.

Attached is a picture of my sump. The 2 gray pipes is the overflow water and the clear pipe is the return water.

If I make the flow 500gph will that be too slow for my tank turnover?

image.jpg
How did you get to 500gph number?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back