How can I use the rule of thirds to make my aquascape aesthetic?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I positioned the first structure on the left points.

This is the tank right now.

image.jpg

The right side of the tank will have a structure that looks like this
77FD808B-2650-425D-8B20-05C1D33AA8C1.png

My question: should the structure be tall enough to hit the highest intersecting point?

or should the structure be lower that it will only hit the lower intersecting point?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the rule of thirds from the top down also. It will negate the 2 dimensional feel of your reef. I usually put something small but eye catching on the back one third where it meets the right or left 1/3.
Then put your largest structure on the opposite (left or right) and front 1/3. This will draw your eye to the small feature at the back third then as your eyes wander they will track naturally to the main focal point in the foreground.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t read the recommended article posted above yet but here’s my 2 cents worth...

WOW. love the tree and love the rock scape. Is it glued already? If not... Maybe move the tree a bit more left and 2 clicks counterclockwise, take just a little height off rocks put smallest height in back right corner as suggested above and open up your two ridge lines a bit more so the back one ends around 8:30 and the front one around 7:00 when viewed from above.

Looking forward to another post

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t read the recommended article posted above yet but here’s my 2 cents worth...

WOW. love the tree and love the rock scape. Is it glued already? If not... Maybe move the tree a bit more left and 2 clicks counterclockwise, take just a little height off rocks put smallest height in back right corner as suggested above and open up your two ridge lines a bit more so the back one ends around 8:30 and the front one around 7:00 when viewed from above.

Looking forward to another post

I am able to move and trim the tree.

I understood everything you said but I didn’t understand this part:

“open up your two ridge lines a bit more so the back one ends around 8:30 and the front one around 7:00 when viewed from above.”

Is there a way you could draw something out on paper or elaborate more?

Im going to tilt, move , and trim the tree and check back for my next instructions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1BBDFDD9-B5A7-4C5A-86C8-AE889708A67C.jpeg

I tilted and moved it and it looks better. I don’t know if you can tell. Should I tilt it more? I’ll post a video too

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am able to move and trim the tree.

I understood everything you said but I didn’t understand this part:

“open up your two ridge lines a bit more so the back one ends around 8:30 and the front one around 7:00 when viewed from above.”

Is there a way you could draw something out on paper or elaborate more?

Im going to tilt, move , and trim the tree and check back for my next instructions.
Will sketch something but I wouldn’t trim the tree leave it unless you need the room....give me about 15 minutes

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love informative lower third graphics on reef tanks

..... especially when they show time, temp, and sports scores

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick sketch of what I was thinking hard to tell if rock structure will fit in tank with tree but am assuming you are planning on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 176
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK YOU SO MUCH @Weasel1960 !!!

I really appreciate you taking your time to personally sketch me drawings! I’m so grateful!

when I saw the first sketch, I was so happy because I love little islands. Those islands were what made me inspired to redo my aquascape.

when I saw the 2nd picture, it all made sense. The way the islands naturally interlock with the branches. It looks so much more balanced in the 2nd picture. I am going to replicate the 2nd drawing.

I’m so grateful! Thank you thank you!!!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK YOU SO MUCH @Weasel1960 !!!

I really appreciate you taking your time to personally sketch me drawings! I’m so grateful!

when I saw the first sketch, I was so happy because I love little islands. Those islands were what made me inspired to redo my aquascape.

when I saw the 2nd picture, it all made sense. The way the islands naturally interlock with the branches. It looks so much more balanced in the 2nd picture. I am going to replicate the 2nd drawing.

I’m so grateful! Thank you thank you!!!
No worries that’s what R2R is about. I am sure you will get other suggestions, try them out and see what you like....because at the end of the day its about what makes you happy. Good luck.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Ardeus might have some helpful input

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different ways to approach aquascaping.

You can recreate something close to what you can find in nature (in real scale or miniature) or you can create something completely out of your imagination, which I think it's what you've done.

Either way, I would strongly advise you to watch this masterclass by Josh Sim, not just once, but 2 or 3 times. It's about freshwater aquascaping but there's a lot that can and should be applied to reefs.

Let me emphasize the following:

- Have a concept.

Unlike freshwater, where the concept can be a forest, a fallen log or mountains (those would look weird if used in a reef) the most obvious themes for reefs are things like a lagoon, reef crest, bommies, drop-off, mangrove forest, transition area.

Look at pictures and videos of both tanks and natural reefs and observe with analytical eyes.

Find something you love and try to figure out why you love it and then try do apply it to your tank.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give more thought to what I think may suit my fish and as I tend to overstock, I use way more rock, so that my fish have their own personal areas, it gives me more stability and filtration and aids with denitrification.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the fish you want to stock. Right now there's no caves, it's all very aerial and at night lots of fish look for caves.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can add caves and islands to the sides of the tank. It look barren on the bottom anyway

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back