How CPR saved a Sailfin Tang

2boys1room4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased some fish off kijij yesterday , and I'm and thrilled with what I got . As of fish I got .
1 Sailfin tang 4inch
1 Neso tang 4 inch
1 Fancy clown fish 2 inch
1 Blue Linckia starfish
1 Choclate chip starfish
1 Short black urchin
1 Yellow belly damsel (R.I.P)
3 Mono angelfish
5 Asterina starfish .
The pickup was only a fifftine minute drive from where we stay.
When we got the fish they placed in a bucket with a lid , he said they would be fine for a few hours . I put the fish in the car and helped him despose of his old tank , as hes detaching himself from the time consuming hobby. He also gave us liverock , and other stuff that needed to be bagged , and brought to the car , it took some time . we're new to the hobby and know that fish get shipped exc, we thought very little of this. As me and my Mate drove home I constantly opened and closed the bucket , to check on my new fish friends. I also was extremely excited , to place them in our 135Gl tank. I wanted to place the liverock before I placed the fish so I wasn't moving stuff around while they we're placed in our tank. I spent a couple minutes placing and moving the liverock we go around, I would say I spent 35 mins, but thats being generous.
I finished placing the liverock , so I open the bucket to toss the fish in . The bucket was new and it was sitting in the sump to adjust to the temperature . When I open the bucket I was in complete shock as the fish were all laying on the bottome and barley!! barley!! Moving my mate grabbed the bucket and tossed the fish in . They were starting to recover , except the Damsel. :( r.i.p ): the Sailfin Tang was stiff ,black and not moving , with death in his eyes. There was very little hope, my mate held him in the tank and gave him mouth to mouth resuscitation aka (CPR) which I wasn't doing , I really thought the fish was dead, I was freaking out to say the least . I thought if he had any chance of making it , CPR was decreasing his chances of survival. I was clearly mistaken , I started to see some movement in his gills . For about 2 hours we cater to his needs and that was living . My mate gave him chest compressions and CPR about 8 to 10 times.The fish made it to say the least, his sail wasn't opening and he struggled to swim, only using front fins as his body appeared stiff .His colors slowly coming back about 6 hours after as we stayed up to monitor him and the others health. They're all doing great now except for the yellow belly damsel. He sadly died because of his little lungs.
:( but I've learned from this, next time to add the fish right away . We have a quarantine saltwater tank too , but being in the moment it totally slipped my mind. I hate seeing any animal stuffer or struggle. But I'm so glad I lost the damsel instead of my now healthy and thriving Sailfin tang who is now so lively. If you're fish is dying I recommend mouth to mouth CPR LOL. He's living his best life . :))))))) And my Moorish idol Is going great, hes running the tank .[emoji225][emoji245][emoji229][emoji222][emoji886]
Screenshot_20180723-013127_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20180723-013326_Video%20Player.jpeg
20180723_014533.jpeg
20180723_013621.jpeg

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased some fish off kijij yesterday , and I'm and thrilled with what I got . As of fish I got .
1 Sailfin tang 4inch
1 Neso tang 4 inch
1 Fancy clown fish 2 inch
1 Blue Linckia starfish
1 Choclate chip starfish
1 Short black urchin
1 Yellow belly damsel (R.I.P)
3 Mono angelfish
5 Asterina starfish .
The pickup was only a fifftine minute drive from where we stay.
When we got the fish they placed in a bucket with a lid , he said they would be fine for a few hours . I put the fish in the car and helped him despose of his old tank , as hes detaching himself from the time consuming hobby. He also gave us liverock , and other stuff that needed to be bagged , and brought to the car , it took some time . we're new to the hobby and know that fish get shipped exc, we thought very little of this. As me and my Mate drove home I constantly opened and closed the bucket , to check on my new fish friends. I also was extremely excited , to place them in our 135Gl tank. I wanted to place the liverock before I placed the fish so I wasn't moving stuff around while they we're placed in our tank. I spent a couple minutes placing and moving the liverock we go around, I would say I spent 35 mins, but thats being generous.
I finished placing the liverock , so I open the bucket to toss the fish in . The bucket was new and it was sitting in the sump to adjust to the temperature . When I open the bucket I was in complete shock as the fish were all laying on the bottome and barley!! barley!! Moving my mate grabbed the bucket and tossed the fish in . They were starting to recover , except the Damsel. :( r.i.p ): the Sailfin Tang was stiff ,black and not moving , with death in his eyes. There was very little hope, my mate held him in the tank and gave him mouth to mouth resuscitation aka (CPR) which I wasn't doing , I really thought the fish was dead, I was freaking out to say the least . I thought if he had any chance of making it , CPR was decreasing his chances of survival. I was clearly mistaken , I started to see some movement in his gills . For about 2 hours we cater to his needs and that was living . My mate gave him chest compressions and CPR about 8 to 10 times.The fish made it to say the least, his sail wasn't opening and he struggled to swim, only using front fins as his body appeared stiff .His colors slowly coming back about 6 hours after as we stayed up to monitor him and the others health. They're all doing great now except for the yellow belly damsel. He sadly died because of his little lungs.
:( but I've learned from this, next time to add the fish right away . We have a quarantine saltwater tank too , but being in the moment it totally slipped my mind. I hate seeing any animal stuffer or struggle. But I'm so glad I lost the damsel instead of my now healthy and thriving Sailfin tang who is now so lively. If you're fish is dying I recommend mouth to mouth CPR LOL. He's living his best life . :))))))) And my Moorish idol Is going great, hes running the tank .[emoji225][emoji245][emoji229][emoji222][emoji886]
Screenshot_20180723-013127_Gallery.jpeg
Screenshot_20180723-013326_Video%20Player.jpeg
20180723_014533.jpeg
20180723_013621.jpeg
with the size of those fish I would have definitely used three buckets. 1 for a couple fish, 1 for another and the last for all the inverts. Also if the fish were going to be sitting for a while I'd add a bartery powered or plug in bubbler.
Marine fish don't have lungs btw

OP
OP
2boys1room4tanks

2boys1room4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with the size of those fish I would have definitely used three buckets. 1 for a couple fish, 1 for another and the last for all the inverts. Also if the fish were going to be sitting for a while I'd add a bartery powered or plug in bubbler.
Marine fish don't have lungs btw
Yes the guy that sold us the fish placed them all in one bucket. I knew something was off when he said , they'd be ok for a couple hours. [emoji35] I was so upset .The drive was only 15 minutes which wasn't so far . But yea there is stil alot to learn lol @ fish gills* [emoji23] #errors4day

Jizu Puentes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the guy that sold us the fish placed them all in one bucket. I knew something was off when he said , they'd be ok for a couple hours. [emoji35] I was so upset .The drive was only 15 minutes which wasn't so far . But yea there is stil alot to learn lol @ fish gills* [emoji23] #errors4day
If they were all small fish they would have been. Large fish in a small amount of water deplete the oxygen quickly and also the larger agressive fish can injure themselves or other fish

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back