How did i do? Bought my first setup.

kered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 150 gal reef ready with stand and quite a bit of extras. i havent had time to look through everything i just kinda grabbed it loaded it up. This will be my first setup but its a messssssss. Everything is filthy and it's going to take a good scrubbing. just off hand looks like it has a sump, 10gal refugium, protein skimmer, uv sterilizer, auto dosers, ATO, 5 chamber RODI. several pumps, several timers, and several power strips. i got it all for $350. Im leaving town tomorrow so i wont be able to tear into it yet. i figure ill do a build thread to show progression but here are some quick pictures of the mess and heres a pic of when it was setup. i didn't get any of the rock

20190725_214438.jpg 20190725_214506.jpg 20190725_214520.jpg 20190725_214531.jpg Screenshot_20190725-232547_OfferUp.jpg

Last edited:

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1, buy rocks mix salt put them in a bucket with a powerhead.
Step 2. Clean the ****e out of everything with vinegar
Step 3. Figure out what still works and replace broken bits
Step 4. Come back for more questions with a list of what works what’s broken etc

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....i havent had time to look through everything i just kinda grabbed it loaded it up.

So did you even test anything to see that it actually works, doesn't leak, etc? I'd be concerned on fast buys....you have zippo recourse

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you even test anything to see that it actually works, doesn't leak, etc? I'd be concerned on fast buys....you have zippo recourse

Yeah got scammed like that once.... you probably got a couple hundred in med/low end gear but after you see what works may not be as hot a deal

OP
OP
kered

kered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

honestly no. the guy had to be out of the apartment tomorrow and it was the last thing in there. he had it for sale for 1200 then 700 and then dropped it to 400. i talked him down to 350. ill be ecstatic if everything works like he says it does but im not holding my breath. i understand theres risk in something priced so cheap but im handy so we'll see. i should buy stock in vinegar. I'm excited to start pulling this stuff out and actually seeing what I've got.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new equipment! When you get back the first thing that I would suggest that you do is to fill the tank and test for leaks. Then work to inventory, test, clean, and sterilize everything else. Good luck!

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah buy the Costco size, but seriously buy the rocks now and get them cycling. They take at least a month and more like 4-6 to get ready

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your first setup!
hope it all works great, I'm sure a Vinegar soak and a bit of scrubbing and everything will look good.
get rocks cycling ASAP.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you, but when it's done it's gonna be SWEET!! The stand alone is awesome.

OP
OP
kered

kered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright did a quick check this morning. heres a little inventory. i plugged in some of the stuff.

ASM G-1X skimmer. pump works
Reef Brite XHO lights. theres 3 72in fixtures. looks like 1 blue and 2 multicolored. the two multicolored had a couple LEDS out but other than that seem fine
Aqua Ultraviolet classic 25w sterilizer. would not come on but might just need a new bulb.
I forgot to look at the size of the return pump but it's a good size and works
Another smaller pump i didnt look at the size or name but it works.
Didnt check the heater but after having one explode in a fresh water tank i dont trust them and ill just get a new one.
JBJ ATO Water Level Controller. did not plug in but i have everything
unknown brand sump. no leaks
2 auto dosers that i know nothing about. hopefully you guys can tell me the brand from the pics.
a TON of random small things like nets, super small pumps, graduated droppers, large magfloat. some coral dosing chemicals.

a couple questions. looks like that skimmer is rated for 150g but ive always read go bigger. do i need a bigger skimmer? can you guys tell me about the quality of these products?

20190726_091411.jpg 20190726_091513.jpg 20190726_092247.jpg

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs has some great YouTube videos on cycling dry rock.

I would go ahead and get that ordered and In water (preferably in a bucket or trash bin) so that you can start the cycle and get off all the organic material that is dried onto the rock before putting it into the tank.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a 150 gallon tank with stand would be a good deal for $350. Assuming that some of the gear is serviceable, you did very well.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a miserable headache project tank. If the tank itself doesn’t have scratches and the stand doesn’t have water damage or large scrapes/dents you got a good deal due to the fact you got a quality 150 for $350. If it’s in ok or bad condition you didn’t get a good deal. Also, all that equipment is beat to heck. I foresee you being able to reuse some but you’ll end up replacing most of it piece by piece in the first year as it either fails or just isn’t the right tool for your reef job. Sump, return pump, lights and skimmer just to begin will all need replacing in short time.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think you should start cycling rock now. Doesn't have to be in the tank, a trash can will be fine.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyones mentioned this, but you may want to start cycling your rocks... :)

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious where this one has ended up?

Everything looks pretty dirty, I can't help but wonder how many weeks of vinegar soaking it will all take. I'd set everything up dirty, and run all the pumps, skimmer and everything with fresh water and as much vinegar as you can get your hands on without it stinking too much unless it's outside or in the garage.

Back