How did my SPS end up over there?? Possible spawn activity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JMetaxas
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 30, 2017
Messages
1,203
Reaction score
666
Location
Old Saybrook, CT - Dec 2017
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two identical very fast growing SPS corals as seen in this pic. I honestly forget the name, Pocillopora maybe.

Anyway, the other day I notice a small version of this coral growing on the return piping of my tank. It's definitely the same type of coral. Probably 18" away too. (see pic #3)

I'm wondering how this could happen with an SPS coral. Of course, soft corals split, drop shoots, and end up all over, but I didn't know an SPS coral could do this.

Could it be that they spawned and attached there?

SPS1.jpg


SPS2.jpg


SPS3.jpg
 
Pocillipora will have polyps that 'bailout' and end up elsewhere to begin a new colony. It is very common and can be a nuisance.
 
This is exactly why I got rid of my large colony, and I still keep finding them popping up everywhere LOL
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new