How did you justify buying a Radion Light?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a T5 person. In the past MH.

Are you folks telling me you have to buy a led lamp, some reeflink thing, a bracket system, and finally a diffuser to get the system to work as expected? Seriously? And to top it off to get proper coverage you are buying multiples? And you get the infamous customer support they offer and failure rate (I experienced it with MP40/MP10s) that makes Tunze look god like?

If so that is quite the racket they have going on.
the debate there is that the Radions outlast any T5 or MH bulb, price is a moot point when you factor is years of bulb replacements.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine for my frag tank based purely on seeing the results people like WWC were getting on their tanks. This was enough justification for me. Have to say they are amazing lights and if I had enough cash would not buy another type of light for future tanks. The mounting options and reef link are a sore one for the wallet too but again are rock solid, look great and the reeflink gives you great functionality. I run the diffusers on mine as they were a little close to my water surface and the light even at low settings was a little intense and focused.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the debate there is that the Radions outlast any T5 or MH bulb, price is a moot point when you factor is years of bulb replacements.

Radions are great. And I’m one of the few people that will say they’re fairly priced. But the bulb argument and longevity cost is so laughably flawed it shouldn’t even be brought up outside of “I simply don’t LIKE having to order bulbs and go through the motions of changing them.” You’re look at 8-10 years before breaking even on bulb changes. While your white diodes in the unit may last that long, good luck getting literally every other component of the unit to last that long (including those required to illuminate those white diodes).

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a T5 person. In the past MH.

Are you folks telling me you have to buy a led lamp, some reeflink thing, a bracket system, and finally a diffuser to get the system to work as expected? Seriously? And to top it off to get proper coverage you are buying multiples? And you get the infamous customer support they offer and failure rate (I experienced it with MP40/MP10s) that makes Tunze look god like?

If so that is quite the racket they have going on.

Lol, That sums it up perfectly. The best part is at least the radions will keep the corals alive, barely. You want growth then save yourself the headache and go T5.

What makes it really hilarious is eventually they are like I'm supplementing my radions with t5 now and seeing amazing growth. Ok, now turn off your radions and see what happens. Imagine that :)

Last edited:

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess you get what you pay for and ecotech are awesome lights. Maybe I just don't like the crappy business model of having lots of hidden expenses. (similar to Apple in that aspect with all accessories up charged)

I am really glad AI has come along and taken away a lot of business from kessil and ecotech. Hoping that makes both companies come out with more complete products. Like having the small form lights from kessil and ecotech with wifi control functions included in the products.

In the end more LED light competition with better included features means we the consumers win
Hi, if you don't like their business model, then instead of using AI's, why not use the GHL Mitra LX 7 lights, check them out, and they are better then the AI's and the Ecotech lights. Plus you don't need to buy and extra light diffusers, or a hanging kit, unless you want to use a custom hanging light kit.

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting my tank - after looking at the optics - GHL Mitras makes so much sense.
Uses reflectors, not lens; no disco in my tank please!
Great build quality - made in Germany.
User replaceable LED modules.
Programs easily with no added cost.

My Mitras is on the way as I write this.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, That sums it up perfectly. The best part is at least the radions will keep the corals alive, barely. You want growth then save yourself the headache and go T5.

What makes it really hilarious is eventually they are like I'm supplementing my radions with t5 now and seeing amazing growth. Ok, now turn off your radions and see what happens. Imagine that :)
Hi, the new Radions are far more then adequate for growing corals, and their is no need to use T5 lights for supplementation unless you are not using enough lights, or are using a improper color spectrum to grow your corals. Personally I use the Mitra LX 7 light from GHL, and I can grow any coral on the planet with them, and not just barely keep them alive like you did when using LED lights, but they grow like weeds.

Last edited:

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions are like Tom Brady and the Patriots. We all hate them because they are so good.

Plenty of others are good too, and easier to cheer for, but Radions always get the job done. Jerks.
I don't hate them, but I use the Mitra lights because they are a better light, sort of like a Dan Marino, Brady comparison, Marino was a better QB, but did not have the team around him like Brady does.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just wanted to reach out to the community to see why you purchased a Radion light fixture. Do you feel they are worth the extra cost when compared to Kessil, Aqua Illumination, or T5/led hybrids
Comparing most light setups Radion cost 50-80% more than others and doesn't even come with an phone app without buying another piece of equipment (Reeflink).

Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this, thanks guys.
I couldn’t. I justified my reasoning because my 8 bulb t5 is a much better spread, and only ran at 55%. The first thing people will say is bulb cost. I go 2 years just fine. Possibly because they aren’t ran on full power. 100 bucks or so every 2 years doesn’t hurt. And bulb cost still doesn’t justify the extra cost of that fixture. The second thing people will bring up is the blue led pop. I agree. Supplement with cheap blue leds and do your evening lighting with that.
Now if someone is wealthy enough to dump 2400 on lights .. more then double of what I have for the same spread go for it. They are awesome lights. But from a ratio of cost/appeal/especially coral health, then no. My tank is built in the wall too, so you can’t see the fixture. That’s an advantage to me also.

I also came to my decision by visiting and talking to a few big and well known aquaculturists.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with three ecotech gen 4 xr30w's. One is at Ecotech right now and will cost $450 to be repaired. I have already sold the other two and switched over to 4 kessils.

Reason for me is that it cost half as much to replace one kessil than it does to replace one radion. Plus I can get by with three kessils where I cannot get by with two radions if i have to send one off to be repaired.

I also run 4 t5's just because I think they provide growth that led's just can't.
Hi, the trouble with Radions, just like any Led light is you need to have an adequate amount of light fixtures to properly cover the tank, and you need to run the proper color spectrum to grow your corals, and LED lights are not plug and play lights like T5 and MH lights.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't hate them, but I use the Mitra lights because they are a better light, sort of like a Dan Marino, Brady comparison, Marino was a better QB, but did not have the team around him like Brady does.
I blame Ray Finkle. LACES OUT!!!

1569593594734.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What don't understand about people who use these LED's - For example Radions. I see people saying you need 4 for a 4 foot tank - or at least 3 - then they run them at 30-40% power - I have 2 radions on my 5 foot tank - that I run >80% for most of the day - with no problems - and good growth. I would never buy 4 of them.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What don't understand about people who use these LED's - For example Radions. I see people saying you need 4 for a 4 foot tank - or at least 3 - then they run them at 30-40% power - I have 2 radions on my 5 foot tank - that I run >80% for most of the day - with no problems - and good growth. I would never buy 4 of them.
In my case, I have 4 Radions over an 8 ft tank running at 55% with 2 supplement Kessils (for the shimmer) at 35%. They are all 22" off the water. I get 350 PAR at the waterline. 250-200 where my SPS are, and 150-50 at the bottom (depending on placement...tank is 24" tall). If I crank up the PAR any higher, I'll cook the low light corals at the bottom. If I go with less lights, then I get shading issues with the SPS.

I'm setting up frag tanks where I can cater to the needs of the individual coral (low light & flow for LPS; high light and flow for SPS). I'm interested to see what happens when I crank up the PAR on the SPS frag tank (slowly, of course).

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was getting a new, larger tank. Uncle Sam knocked on door and took all my new tank money:mad::mad::mad::mad:
It’s okay man. Seen the person that got your “tax monies”. They were buying a Aussie gold at one of the lfs I stop at. $650 on the ebt card, no problem!

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or..........you could go with Orphek and stop reading all of the light threads.
I was interested in the Orphek, but couldn't see one in person to make a decision. No local LFS carries it (on a tank), and they didn't show up at Reef-A-Palooza. I can't buy it without seeing it.

Both the Kessil and Radion were purchased after I saw them in someone else's tank.

LagoonLounge

loving the reef life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Aquaillumination brought out a hydra 52 HD or 26 with a HEI lens design they'll be about the same price as a radion pro gen 4 and people will buy them, it's like going round a circle

Hydra 52 HD £600 ( with hei lens £200 ) = £800
Radion xr30 pro g4 £800

Same as the xr15 and 26

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back