How did you justify buying a Radion Light?

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just wanted to reach out to the community to see why you purchased a Radion light fixture. Do you feel they are worth the extra cost when compared to Kessil, Aqua Illumination, or T5/led hybrids
Comparing most light setups Radion cost 50-80% more than others and doesn't even come with an phone app without buying another piece of equipment (Reeflink).

Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this, thanks guys.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My decision came from seeing them in person and on other people’s tanks. I liked what they got out of them. Now I can’t honestly sit here and say their the greatest light ever as I haven’t tried some of the others but I’m happy with my radion pros , tank looks good and my sps is doing fine

Brandon Smith

AquaticArsenal.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally go with AI over a Radion. I am using a Reef Breeder Photon V2+ right now. I don't like that with EcoTech that you have to pay $99 for the reeflink in order to control it wirelessly. I also have an AI Prime HD and love how easy it is to adjust individual channels. I also love downloading files for the AI Prime and then going into the App and changing the schedule.

OP
OP
Jared's Little Reef

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost compared to other quality lights is quite similar; a Kessil (A360) is equivalent to an XR15 so if you're comparing it to an XR30, you need two Kessils to perform the same job.
Yeah I would agree that those two are pretty equal when comparing those two and there wattage output. I still just think it is wild that EcoTech pretty much forces you into buying extras like a $100 reeflink to even properly use a $420, $600 or $800+ light you just bought

OP
OP
Jared's Little Reef

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the fence until I saw the diffuser on the XR 15s. I like shimmer but I love the natural toned down blended shimmer. And really didn't see that much difference in cost with direct competitors.
For a smaller cube 100% I think the XR-15 with diffuser looks good, for longer tank a hybrid T5/kessil led combination is really nice looking.
But not a cheap option: $467 for xr15 with diffuser + mount $90 + $100 reeflink seems like a lot of extra cost that aren't really talked about. Roughly $657 all said and done, but they do look nice $$$.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you compare apples to apples their is NO difference in pricing. They r both great lighting, but lets be fair in the pricing and expectations of what you get out of the light from each brand. Neither one comes with a mount, you have to buy one for each. NEITHER one can communicate on their own, you have to either buy the reeflink or the soon to be released Kessil doggle to allow for communication. You can plug in a Radion to your computer and program it that way or thru a reeflink module or a WXM apex module. I would imagine that you can also plug in a Kessil to you computer, or buy the extra Kessil Spectral Controller. Now onto the Hybrid, which I have, you add extra cost of that fixture onto either one equally raising the price. Both lighting fixtures are top notch and you can't go wrong with either one, but neither one is cheap.

I picked the Radions over the Kessil for one reason, because I can connect them to my Apex, you can't connect the new Kessils.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all purchases their is a point of diminishing returns. When I browse TVs at the store I can tell there is a difference between a $400 and $800 TV of the same size but I can't hardly tell the difference between an $800 and $1200 unless they are side by side.

The same applies to cars, watches and most everything else. Is a $400 light better than a $200 light. Yes a whole lot better. What about a $600 vs a $400. Still better but not as much. $800 vs $600 even less of a difference.

People who buy the $800 do so for one reason. They want the best. After all this is a hobby and part of the fun is having the best. The light might not be the best value but it is the best.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not using reeflink. I don't mind plugging it in and setting it up. Probably saves me from over tweaking. And nope, not cheap. You asked how I justified not how I afforded ;) . To be honest, I didn't have a second choice after seeing it with the diffuser. Might have even gone T5 small LED combo. Did I say how much I love shimmer and hate disco ball effect? A fine line with me granted but my eyes are very sensitive to it.

OP
OP
Jared's Little Reef

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get what you pay for , easier to save and get the best then have to sell to buy again.
Yeah I guess you get what you pay for and ecotech are awesome lights. Maybe I just don't like the crappy business model of having lots of hidden expenses. (similar to Apple in that aspect with all accessories up charged)

I am really glad AI has come along and taken away a lot of business from kessil and ecotech. Hoping that makes both companies come out with more complete products. Like having the small form lights from kessil and ecotech with wifi control functions included in the products.

In the end more LED light competition with better included features means we the consumers win

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is... Then why don't they put the function that they have in there $200 light fixture in the $420+ light fixture instead of selling a $100 add on?
They had bought them, I would guess you would call it their budget light, ?, it is still a great light.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 49 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 44 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back