How do big corals receive light

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question might be odd or even somewhat primitive, but I have a coral which has a lot of heads. Some of these heads are covered by others and are pointing downwards (they aren’t touching the substrate or anything). I was curious as to how these corals receive their light, or will these heads simply die off if I don’t frag them?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wavelengths of light, mostly green, can penetrate tissue and kinda "go around" things - reason 2514 why blue light is not the only important spectrum out there. Being partially blocked can sometimes be fine if they light level is still high enough, but other times the coral will die back in those places and grow on the parts with more light... hard to tell until it happens.

Fragging is fine. If the corals is growing downwards, that might be a good sign that it is looking for more light.

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wavelengths of light, mostly green, can penetrate tissue and kinda "go around" things - reason 2514 why blue light is not the only important spectrum out there. Being partially blocked can sometimes be fine if they light level is still high enough, but other times the coral will die back in those places and grow on the parts with more light... hard to tell until it happens.

Fragging is fine. If the corals is growing downwards, that might be a good sign that it is looking for more light.
If it grows downwards it’s looking for more light? How so?

Another (probably) newb question: can I cut the coral (torch) with a frag scissor or would this destroy the coral its skeleton?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are articles on this. The corals grows downward in an attempt to reach away from where it is to then later grow back up.

A hand saw is better. ...or a piece of wire used as a cutter. Stainless is best and will not rust as bad. I have used a band saw and taken the coral quickly out of he water. Bone cutters or scissors can mash and splinter the skeleton and can cause damage.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it grows downwards it’s looking for more light? How so?

Another (probably) newb question: can I cut the coral (torch) with a frag scissor or would this destroy the coral its skeleton?
Follow jda's advice, he very respected on this forum

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are articles on this. The corals grows downward in an attempt to reach away from where it is to then later grow back up.

A hand saw is better. ...or a piece of wire used as a cutter. Stainless is best and will not rust as bad. I have used a band saw and taken the coral quickly out of he water. Bone cutters or scissors can mash and splinter the skeleton and can cause damage.
Okay, a hand saw will do. The question mostly stems from the fact that I’m honestly not interested in spending 800+ euros on a device which I’d use once or twice. Is a dedicated hand saw (I saw they’re selling hand saws for corals) do well or would you advice something different?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, a hand saw will do. The question mostly stems from the fact that I’m honestly not interested in spending 800+ euros on a device which I’d use once or twice. Is a dedicated hand saw (I saw they’re selling hand saws for corals) do well or would you advice something different?

You can use bone cutters too depending on the coral

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surgical or stainless steel saw is fine. You can use any saw really... just if it is super cheap wash it for nasty oils and stuff that they ship stuff in. Non stainless will rust faster. Rope saw is what I meant by wire saws. Bone cutters are a nice have for fragging most things, but the can crush LPS skeletons too much and sometimes those fractured parts can run inches up into the live tissue.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could work. You will definitely crush/splinter the skeleton and likely kill that head if you try to cut them with bone cutters.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have cheap, Chinese tool places in The Netherlands like we have here in the US, you can buy cheap wet tile saws that cut through corals easily. If you clean the saws after you use them they stay in pretty decent shape for years. Corals can easily come out of the water long enough to be run through a saw. The worst part about them is storing them when you don't use them, which is not often.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a dremel, buy the diamond tip round blades from Amazon. They cut thru the skeleton real easy and give you a nice cut.

ALLmuis c i y 545 Diamond Cutting Wheel (22mm) 25pcs with 402 Mandrel (3mm) 5pcs and Screwdriver for Rotary Tool https://a.co/d/bm1he8j

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can confirm that bone cutters should not be used unless you can afford to deal with a lot of collateral damage

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a dremel, buy the diamond tip round blades from Amazon. They cut thru the skeleton real easy and give you a nice cut.

ALLmuis c i y 545 Diamond Cutting Wheel (22mm) 25pcs with 402 Mandrel (3mm) 5pcs and Screwdriver for Rotary Tool https://a.co/d/bm1he8j
Bruh I think you saved me money. I think my dad has one somewhere.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The question might be odd or even somewhat primitive, but I have a coral which has a lot of heads. Some of these heads are covered by others and are pointing downwards (they aren’t touching the substrate or anything). I was curious as to how these corals receive their light, or will these heads simply die off if I don’t frag them?
I assure there is full coverage and supplemental offered with Orphek OR3 Bars and a couple of noopsyche for shimmer

OP
OP
Icryhard

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assure there is full coverage and supplemental offered with Orphek OR3 Bars and a couple of noopsyche for shimmer
I am glad you actually answered since (if I’m not mistaken) your tank should be full of corals which are pointing all sorts of directions haha. I run prime HD 26 however and no orphek

zoolan70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruh I think you saved me money. I think my dad has one somewhere.
I suggest you use a dedicated Dremel (aka, cheap) for this type of thing. I've even used a Dremel with an extension wand to cut underwater, but the dust and salt will for-sure wreck it after a while.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you use a dedicated Dremel (aka, cheap) for this type of thing. I've even used a Dremel with an extension wand to cut underwater, but the dust and salt will for-sure wreck it after a while.
Why would you use it underwater??
Electricity and salt water so not mix!
Do not cut under water!

You must pull the colony out and cut.
Cut over a bucket of water to catch the frags is all.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back