How do FOWLR clean their tanks without CUC?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering a Harlequin Tusk as one of my reef tank inhabitants. I learned that these fish don’t eat corals, but CUC are on the menu. I also have clams but I wasn’t sure if these fish eat clams.

Here’s a list of my CUC:
Nassarius snails
Turbos
Urchin
Starfish

Which CUC would be goners? How do people will FOWLR clean their rocks/sand without snails?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to your question about cleaning FOWLR tanks. When doing a water change I first blow off all rocks with turkey blaster and the clean inside glass. Then vacuum the sand bed on one side of the tank. I switch sides each time I do a water change.
After adding new water I add floss to the filter and overflow box to polish the water. An hour later I change out all floss, socks, etc. and the fish are happy for a couple of weeks.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online it says the same about cuban hogfish but mine only eats my perwinkles and leaves all other snails alone also leaves hermits alone. If you keep the tuskfish well fed I'd assume it would also leave most of your cuc alone.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online it says the same about cuban hogfish but mine only eats my perwinkles and leaves all other snails alone also leaves hermits alone. If you keep the tuskfish well fed I'd assume it would also leave most of your cuc alone.
Excellent. I think I might add him to the list!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One tip to keeping a fowlr less algae prone, you can manage your lighting. Full spectrum lighting will feed algae more, with a fowlr you can keep your spectrum at 10k or above and blues. Schedule your lighting for your viewing pleasure, they don't have to be on for 12 hrs to grow corals, my lights are only on in the evenings for 6 hrs when I can can enjoy them, Urchins and starfish are compatible with many, I don't believe a tusk bothers those. A toothbrush.

NanoMan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a tusk in my tank for 2 years. Only thing it would always go after was emerald crabs. Would pick up a hermit if it got too big. Never really touched much though honestly. I made sure to keep feed her very well. My Maroon clowns still ruled that tank though…lol. Just remember ever fish is different and have personality’s just like people to an extent.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back