How do I get a stable amount of phospate and nitrate?

BlackZebrasoma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a bit of dilemma here and I also have some questions.

what is a good phosphate and nitrate level for an aquarium with LPS and Sps corals and around 5 fishes?

As far as I know, the reason phosphate and nitrate goes up is because of the food you give them.
But a few days ago I gave my fishes some goldpods, but the phosphate only got to around 0.04 and went down again after 2 days and my nitrate didn’t even go up. The problem is that I can‘t get my nitrate up and keep it up without my phosphate going up. My phosphate and nitrate is basically always 0.00. What can I do to get these to values up?

these are my stats the last months (the blue one is phosphate and the pink/purple one is nitrate. The spots that are empty means that its just 0.00 phosphate or nitrate):

86C0946B-7B1D-4346-9D2B-F753EEE173BF.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a bit of dilemma here and I also have some questions.

what is a good phosphate and nitrate level for an aquarium with LPS and Sps corals and around 5 fishes?

As far as I know, the reason phosphate and nitrate goes up is because of the food you give them.
But a few days ago I gave my fishes some goldpods, but the phosphate only got to around 0.04 and went down again after 2 days and my nitrate didn’t even go up. The problem is that I can‘t get my nitrate up and keep it up without my phosphate going up. My phosphate and nitrate is basically always 0.00. What can I do to get these to values up?

these are my stats the last months (the blue one is phosphate and the pink/purple one is nitrate. The spots that are empty means that its just 0.00 phosphate or nitrate):

86C0946B-7B1D-4346-9D2B-F753EEE173BF.jpeg
You can dose nitrates and phosphates, though I don't have your problem

I'm an admitted overfeeder... my problem is getting my numbers back down ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My general recommendation is 0.02 to 0.1 ppm phosphate and 2-10 ppm nitrate for most any reef. :)

For anyone choosing to dose nitrate or phosphate, my recommendation is food grade sodium nitrate or sodium phosphate. You can get them from Amazon and other places.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back