How do I get a stable amount of phospate and nitrate?

BlackZebrasoma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a bit of dilemma here and I also have some questions.

what is a good phosphate and nitrate level for an aquarium with LPS and Sps corals and around 5 fishes?

As far as I know, the reason phosphate and nitrate goes up is because of the food you give them.
But a few days ago I gave my fishes some goldpods, but the phosphate only got to around 0.04 and went down again after 2 days and my nitrate didn’t even go up. The problem is that I can‘t get my nitrate up and keep it up without my phosphate going up. My phosphate and nitrate is basically always 0.00. What can I do to get these to values up?

these are my stats the last months (the blue one is phosphate and the pink/purple one is nitrate. The spots that are empty means that its just 0.00 phosphate or nitrate):

86C0946B-7B1D-4346-9D2B-F753EEE173BF.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a bit of dilemma here and I also have some questions.

what is a good phosphate and nitrate level for an aquarium with LPS and Sps corals and around 5 fishes?

As far as I know, the reason phosphate and nitrate goes up is because of the food you give them.
But a few days ago I gave my fishes some goldpods, but the phosphate only got to around 0.04 and went down again after 2 days and my nitrate didn’t even go up. The problem is that I can‘t get my nitrate up and keep it up without my phosphate going up. My phosphate and nitrate is basically always 0.00. What can I do to get these to values up?

these are my stats the last months (the blue one is phosphate and the pink/purple one is nitrate. The spots that are empty means that its just 0.00 phosphate or nitrate):

86C0946B-7B1D-4346-9D2B-F753EEE173BF.jpeg
You can dose nitrates and phosphates, though I don't have your problem

I'm an admitted overfeeder... my problem is getting my numbers back down ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My general recommendation is 0.02 to 0.1 ppm phosphate and 2-10 ppm nitrate for most any reef. :)

For anyone choosing to dose nitrate or phosphate, my recommendation is food grade sodium nitrate or sodium phosphate. You can get them from Amazon and other places.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back