How do I get back into it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wolf89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2018
Messages
1,853
Reaction score
2,687
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I haven't posted in a while, mostly because I moved about 8 hours away. Being a not always so smart 16 year old, I made my decision based on emotion, rather than what was best. And boy was that a bad decision. I lost almost everything. I have 5 fish (out of ~40) left and no coral. Quite literally 100% of my money from the past 2 years was invested in this hobby. Annnnnnd it's all gone. But I still have the passion, this is really a hobby I enjoy, but I'm having a hard time to find the motivation to replace what I've lost, emotionally and also because I am a teenager with no income. Plus, where I used to live I had some genuinely generous friends and a good support system, now I don't have any of that. Sorry if this was a bit of a rant! Anyone have some advice?
 
Well, on the bright side, it wasn't a total loss. You still have the tank, and equipment right? At least you don't have to spend money on that. Yeah sure, you don't have any corals that are expensive AF to buy and take FOREVER to grow, but in the grand scheme of things, there's still so much time to grow your reef tank back up.

Also, this is a good lesson in that you'll probably have to reset or start over at least a few more times before you settle down in your own house as the years go by. So, just keep that in the back of your mind, and mentally prepare for it. One day you might get a job offer and have move half way across the country- another reset.
 
It is good to still have passion for the hobby. You will see people come and go, while others take an extended break. Myself being the latter, I took a 10 year hiatus when our family started to grow.

For me, I had kept a lot of my equipment, but after 10 years, I wanted to go a completely different direction. As you think about setting it back up, maybe think about the next 3-5 years. If you are going to college, how does that impact your plan. Some things to think about.

Even if you take an extended break, there is always time to come back to the hobby.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new