How do i get rid of pineapple sponges

Joshua Agostoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since i started my tank ive had pineapple sponges in my sump but not in my main display, i did some research on the forums and found out their harmless. However over time there are tons of them now.

How do i remove them ( i know i can just clean my sump i plan on it ) if there is another way i'd like to know.

How do i prevent them from coming back..

I'm worried that they might get into my protein skimmers pump and my other pumps and cause them to malfunction.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow in my skimmer chamber but haven't had problems with them in any if the pumps. I don't really worry about them.

Silicates in the tank can contribute to sponge growth, so maybe check if silica is breaking through your rodi. If so you could add a silicabuster cartridge from spectrapure, if you wish to limit their growth

DQM5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why get rid of them?? they are harmless, they are actually beneficial cause they filter the water. imo you should keep them, since they are in your sump. i have plenty in mines :) but that's totally up to you.

removing them probably use a useless credit card scaping them and then siphon them out.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the silicates being a contributing factor in sponge growth, I use NSW with naturally high silicates and get crazy sponge growth with numerous species dominanting all areas of the tank. If you do want them gone decreasing silicates will have a effect.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tons of them in my sump and growing on my rock it my DT. I started with dry rock and I'm sure that's where my silicates come from.

But if they do something good, why destroy that?

EDIT: A pic for ref.

IMG_20180324_151712.jpg

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very helpful, They act as a natural skimmer you shouldn't want to get rid of them... but if you really want to get rid of them I found that Hypselodoris Kanga eats Pineapple Sponge (the nudibranch is rare and you probably won't be able to find it in aquarium stores :) .)

Last edited:

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a tank less than a year old I expect lots of changes will take place, pineapple sponges were all over my tank in the first year now I get more interesting species instead.... Yellow ones, white ones, dark red, pink, orange, blue and one that unfortunately looks like liver! Lol

I’d take it as a sign you have a healthy reef, you are doing something right and your tank has lots of biodiversity.

Few of mine, all beneficial.

0118BDB5-2968-4F0F-B437-D3CA8A9D877B.jpeg FFE82EB6-1585-4468-8BFE-753672AFB170.png 1CC43BF4-559B-4283-A9F5-A172D2065494.png 226F9BE0-1D26-465D-B728-52F841DFD0EB.png

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard and soft varieties. Forgive the aptasia in the 3rd pic. Im going hunting tommorrow for em. This tank is really mature and I love looking in the crevices and crannies and seeing, yellow, black and flesh colored Sponges. Sump is full of them and other Stuff.
a7b758d22db1759bc1d02d23126a8f2f.jpg
0456428cb45c263693fdea94a497e9a0.jpg
25a208bc7603b6311e577d87a7060147.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since i started my tank ive had pineapple sponges in my sump but not in my main display, i did some research on the forums and found out their harmless. However over time there are tons of them now.

How do i remove them ( i know i can just clean my sump i plan on it ) if there is another way i'd like to know.

How do i prevent them from coming back..

I'm worried that they might get into my protein skimmers pump and my other pumps and cause them to malfunction.
Lol, please send them to me!
I want more.

Reefkeeper12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of them? Seriously? They are what your refugium is for man. Great filter feeders. Its the low light high nutrient rufugium system you've created. Leave them alone.
Actually if you care about corals you’ll remove those pesky sponges, because the sponges IME take out the trace minerals your corals need and you spend time replenishing via adding nutrients or water changes. True most sponges utilize silica for their exoskeleton and therefore have no need for calcium or carbonate however they do utilize most of the other reef trace minerals your corals use.

I love my corals I don’t need to be overdosing nutrients to keep my corals happy cause the sponges are stealing the good stuff from them.

Louisthefishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually if you care about corals you’ll remove those pesky sponges, because the sponges IME take out the trace minerals your corals need and you spend time replenishing via adding nutrients or water changes. True most sponges utilize silica for their exoskeleton and therefore have no need for calcium or carbonate however they do utilize most of the other reef trace minerals your corals use.

I love my corals I don’t need to be overdosing nutrients to keep my corals happy cause the sponges are stealing the good stuff from them.
I had one on 2 of my frags so going to look if there are more.
I don’t dose so wouldn’t want the corals running out of nutrients.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back