How do i increase nitrate?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question probably got asked a lot. But my tank is 4 months old. Lps dominant tank. Everything doing great. But nitrate keep going down. Im sitting at 8.6. From 9.6. I dose all for reef everyday 20ml half the recommended dose for my tank. I read that all for reef act like carbon dosing, and take nitrate down a little? Not sure. Its a 150G. Total water volume 200G tank. I have couple of fish. Any recommendations?

IMG_8774.jpeg IMG_8773.jpeg

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of options -

• feed more
  • reduce photoperiod for refugium or algae scrubber, if you have one
  • more fish
  • nitrate dosing (I'm not familiar with this, I'll leave commentary to the experts)
Iv been feeding twice pellets, and frozen. My phisohate have no problem going up 0.24

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this. Sorry I don't remember the ratio to RODI and am not home. Nice thing about raising nitrates is that you can do it quickly. I've raised as much 5ppm at one time.

Screenshot_20231201_135043_Amazon Shopping.jpg

EDIT : personally I don't see a problem with yours. Your tank is young and hasn't really stabilized yet. Many tanks will eventually settle in at certain level and stay there. I have one that runs 15-20 another 5ish ppm and another that's barely detectable but I do a form of carbon dosing on that one and am keeping N and P low intentionally.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.6 ppm nitrate is more than enough. But if it continues down, feeding more or dosing a source of N (food grade sodium or calcium nitrate, ammonia, or amino acids) will all halt the slide.

There’s no need or benefit from a commercial product such as expensive. Neonitrate that lacks any purity or composition guarantee.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back