How do I move my tank?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned on transferring the water as well, but I guess I could mix new water.
If you had a bare bottom or didn’t disturb anything (not likely) you’ll want to use new. I did run into the issue of having no nutrients in there (it was low to begin with) so if you have very low nutrients as is, you’ll want to carry over some of the water or dose nitrate and phosphate. If you can do a significant water change and still have over 5-10 nitrates then you can use mostly new water.
All systems are different, I had to dose for months because I started with mostly new water and I had <5ish nitrates to start.

In case you need more things to worry about lol

OP
OP
duberii

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a bare bottom or didn’t disturb anything (not likely) you’ll want to use new. I did run into the issue of having no nutrients in there (it was low to begin with) so if you have very low nutrients as is, you’ll want to carry over some of the water or dose nitrate and phosphate. If you can do a significant water change and still have over 5-10 nitrates then you can use mostly new water.
All systems are different, I had to dose for months because I started with mostly new water and I had <5ish nitrates to start.

In case you need more things to worry about lol
I’m a pretty heavy feeder- low nutrients is not my concern even if I use all new water. What I’ll probably end up doing is doing a ~5 gallon water change to siphon the sand after removing the rock. Then I can drain all the water out with a lesser fear of knocking any detritus up, then I can use mostly old water. I’m low on salt mix so I’m trying to avoid doing a 100% water change.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 67 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back