How do i navigate this place?

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Dez and I've been keeping aqauriums my whole life. I've only done freshwater and have many years of planted tank experience under my belt (see attached photo) but I want to get into saltwater and I'm going to build a 20 gallon long next summer. I need help though lol I don't know what I'm doing.....

1. How do you navigate this site? I can't find where there is a list of the forums so you can choose where to post. Are you supposed to just search for the right forum and go from there? There's gotta be an easier way.
2. Corals, I want to do clowfish and maybe a blenny with shrimp and snails as well. (I volunteer at an aqaurium and one of the aquarist suggested clownfish and blennys) I know anemones can be aggressive and hard to deal with so suggestions? I'd like soft corals as well.
3. I want to do hob filter maybe aquclear 30? I don't know the amount of flow I'd need so should I get a power head as well or is that too much and an airstone would be fine?
3. Lastly lighting. I'll spend 200 on lighting and want something that keeps my tank happy and healthy.

Again sorry but I can't find a list of forums to post in so here we are. Nice to meet everyone!

20221201_095132.jpg

FreshSaltH2o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B8F433CA-3357-427D-8936-BC7B1B4FEA6D.jpeg

You’ll get the hang of it you started in the right place welcome!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curved Orange transperant R2R 10-18-22.png

1. in upper left of the welcome page under the Reef2Reef logo and wording you will see Forums this is your yellow brick road to the site.
2.Maybe a dunkin or leather
3.Hang on the back filter is fine, also look at CPR HOB filtes
4. $200 will get you a good used light. Lighting can be pretty pricy and you do not want to go cheap in lighting with the investment in corals.

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to r2r
If you’re using the app it gets easier with time .
I posted a screen shot … on the top left click on the drop down menu . In there you will see forum , new post , etc

to post click on new post , it will give you a list of different categories .
start typing and most times it will search for similar posts . You can continue with your post or read through previously posted with the same subject .

Attachments

• C001EDFC-B8B6-408B-B64E-868FA88892AA.png
    C001EDFC-B8B6-408B-B64E-868FA88892AA.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 17

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi my name is Dez and I've been keeping aqauriums my whole life. I've only done freshwater and have many years of planted tank experience under my belt (see attached photo) but I want to get into saltwater and I'm going to build a 20 gallon long next summer. I need help though lol I don't know what I'm doing.....

1. How do you navigate this site? I can't find where there is a list of the forums so you can choose where to post. Are you supposed to just search for the right forum and go from there? There's gotta be an easier way.
2. Corals, I want to do clowfish and maybe a blenny with shrimp and snails as well. (I volunteer at an aqaurium and one of the aquarist suggested clownfish and blennys) I know anemones can be aggressive and hard to deal with so suggestions? I'd like soft corals as well.
3. I want to do hob filter maybe aquclear 30? I don't know the amount of flow I'd need so should I get a power head as well or is that too much and an airstone would be fine?
3. Lastly lighting. I'll spend 200 on lighting and want something that keeps my tank happy and healthy.

Again sorry but I can't find a list of forums to post in so here we are. Nice to meet everyone!

20221201_095132.jpg
www.reef2reef.com/forums/

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and as you are taking you time getting set up you will decide and change minds a lot over the span.

Anemones are a bit of luck and a bit of art - I had trouble early on, and the better settled a tank you (6 months plus) the better chance they won't go on walk-about and mess up you plans (or end in a powerhead. once they get settled they will hopefully split, I have 9 bubble tips (from an original 20 in a 15g, and planning my rehoming steps now...

For the money, you are getting close to a AI which does a great job of giving you options and control with the App
best of luck to you...

and you will get the navigation, forums tab, or the search option to get started

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome!
happy red panda GIF

1) the forums tab on the top bar, or search. many of them have descriptions of what to put in there.
2) there are plenty of great soft coral and lps that would work in the 20 long. rockflower nems are easy enough, pretty, and not too aggressive. others, and I'm not the knowledge source on this, require quite a lot of light.
3) I'd throw on a 500 gph powerhead too. I have one on a 15-gallon cube and the tank loves it.
4) coralife will grow softies and is affordable, noopsyche has a good following that I've seen here and should grow almost anything.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Already good info and encouragement on here. As they said, it wasn't intuitive to me when I first started either. Reviewing that Forum list (info in #3, #7, and others) it is a LONG list. When I'm looking for something, I just work my way thru the list. Its also taken me on fun educational journey as I found topics I might not have thought about, but it turns out here there is a while section dedicated!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). You would start your post in Forum > Members Aquariums.

This might help you find people local to you in 02189:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Back