How do i navigate this place?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome !

Check out my build threat if you want to read about my 75 gallons conversion to saltwater. I had been in freshwater over 30 years before trying saltwater.

Let me tell you it’s so very different and you’re in for quite a ride ! Much more complex, demanding and expensive (oh, so expensive) but much more rewarding as well IMO !

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0DC8C4AA-AD6E-48AC-8B6E-9279CFA57171.jpeg

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scariest part to me in the beginning was lights.

A 20 gallon reef tank will be much more difficult than a 75 gallon. Evaporation happens, water goes, salt stays, all the sudden your water is much saltier than before but you haven't put salt in it. Science. The bigger the tank , the easier, until you get into the monster tank status then it's a different conversation. Don't limit yourself on size, dream big, because the bigger the tank, the more critters you can keep.

Lights have 3 categories - metal halide (MH), flourescent (T5), LED . Each of them are great, and each person will tell you why one is better than the other two. If you're looking to spend $200, try to go the used route. You can get a couple LED bars for that price used, but I am personally a fan of the T5. I spent $600 on the LED bars, and my corals did not die. I supplemented with four T5 bulbs, and my corals instantly took off. There is more to it than that, but I'll never have a reef without some T5 bulbs providing a large portion of the light.

Everything you do, do it slowly. Add fish slowly. Add coral slowly. If everything has been okay for a month, add another fish, or add another coral. It's hard to do it this way, but if you don't then you run the risk of everything dying anyway. If you are doing something wrong, you won't know it until it is most likely too late and the consequence is right in front of you. Don't hesitate to ask questions, and ignore the dumb mean people, they have no other place to belittle people so they unfortunately decide to use this forum. "Keyboard warriors"

Quarantining (QT) your fish is a great idea. Some people do - some people don't. Make a decision about it before you add your first fish, or it is already toolate.

Good luck, best of luck, the freshwater tank is beautiful !

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curved Orange transperant R2R 10-18-22.png

1. in upper left of the welcome page under the Reef2Reef logo and wording you will see Forums this is your yellow brick road to the site.
2.Maybe a dunkin or leather
3.Hang on the back filter is fine, also look at CPR HOB filtes
4. $200 will get you a good used light. Lighting can be pretty pricy and you do not want to go cheap in lighting with the investment in corals.
Thank you for the link :)

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Already good info and encouragement on here. As they said, it wasn't intuitive to me when I first started either. Reviewing that Forum list (info in #3, #7, and others) it is a LONG list. When I'm looking for something, I just work my way thru the list. Its also taken me on fun educational journey as I found topics I might not have thought about, but it turns out here there is a while section dedicated!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). You would start your post in Forum > Members Aquariums.

This might help you find people local to you in 02189:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
I have not but now that you mentioned this I will

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scariest part to me in the beginning was lights.

A 20 gallon reef tank will be much more difficult than a 75 gallon. Evaporation happens, water goes, salt stays, all the sudden your water is much saltier than before but you haven't put salt in it. Science. The bigger the tank , the easier, until you get into the monster tank status then it's a different conversation. Don't limit yourself on size, dream big, because the bigger the tank, the more critters you can keep.

Lights have 3 categories - metal halide (MH), flourescent (T5), LED . Each of them are great, and each person will tell you why one is better than the other two. If you're looking to spend $200, try to go the used route. You can get a couple LED bars for that price used, but I am personally a fan of the T5. I spent $600 on the LED bars, and my corals did not die. I supplemented with four T5 bulbs, and my corals instantly took off. There is more to it than that, but I'll never have a reef without some T5 bulbs providing a large portion of the light.

Everything you do, do it slowly. Add fish slowly. Add coral slowly. If everything has been okay for a month, add another fish, or add another coral. It's hard to do it this way, but if you don't then you run the risk of everything dying anyway. If you are doing something wrong, you won't know it until it is most likely too late and the consequence is right in front of you. Don't hesitate to ask questions, and ignore the dumb mean people, they have no other place to belittle people so they unfortunately decide to use this forum. "Keyboard warriors"

Quarantining (QT) your fish is a great idea. Some people do - some people don't. Make a decision about it before you add your first fish, or it is already toolate.

Good luck, best of luck, the freshwater tank is beautiful !
Thank you so much for the info on lights. I prefer LEDs, I have a great one on my freshwater and it's timed to mimic the natural day cycle which is what I would want for my saltwater. I don't mind spending money and can fidget with my budget a bit. I just don't know where to start :l lol

I drip acclimate my fish before adding them to a tank and my tanks run for 6 to 8 months with stable water parameters before I'm willing to add anything to them (fish are friends ;)) I have never quarantined my fish in my freshwater but will read up more on the practice since you mentioned it, Thank you.

As far as mean people go I could care less about what people say if it's rude or mean, and have a very strong backbone and enough sass to shut em down quick so let em come for me. Plus people who are keyboard warriors are just sad about their lives and have nothing better to do :)

Corals is what I'm really afraid of, living plants essentially aren't they? I know you feed them, I know they're alive, I know things like anemones move and I know some of these critters can be aggressive and eat other livestock so I'm terrified of them but want them so badly I can hardly stand it.

Also thank you for the compliment on my tank, I work hard to keep her pristine and happy :) love tanks!

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
say it with me....
Reefing is not a hobby, it is an addiction
navigating r2r gets easier with time. i struggled with it at first
on the bottom the is a post thread thing that takes you to the forum page
I think fish tanks are an addiction period! Lol

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Already good info and encouragement on here. As they said, it wasn't intuitive to me when I first started either. Reviewing that Forum list (info in #3, #7, and others) it is a LONG list. When I'm looking for something, I just work my way thru the list. Its also taken me on fun educational journey as I found topics I might not have thought about, but it turns out here there is a while section dedicated!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). You would start your post in Forum > Members Aquariums.

This might help you find people local to you in 02189:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Thank you so much, finding local help will be a great relief :)

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R! We’re glad you joined! You’re going to rock reef-keeping if your planted tank is any indication. Bravo on being patient too! It will take you far in this hobby! Hopefully you’ll start a build thread when the time comes. I definitely want to see pictures. Don’t be afraid to ask questions either. The only stupid question is one that’s never asked.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back