Live aquaria is spend $99 and get free shipping
Im tying to get all my fish once so I don’t have to pay $25 shipping Every time

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think factors like the size of the tank, the age of the tank, and how much rock/sand you have play a huge role here. The more info the better!

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon
Tank is new
But rock came from my other System that more than a year old and always use new sand when setting up a new tank
20 pound of rock and 20 pounds of sand
The tank it came form has 5 fish

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank doesnt have any life in it, you can boost the viability of your biological filter by using ammonia, like from Dr Tim's. By cycling through a higher level of ammonia you will be able to add more fish at once. Go to Dr Tim's website and read about it.

Ultimately this is a very bad idea. As you would not likely even get all healthy fish that will even live or have no disease. So to think you'll be able to successfully fully stock your tank all at once, is really unrealistic.

OP
OP
James M

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank doesnt have any life in it, you can boost the viability of your biological filter by using ammonia, like from Dr Tim's. By cycling through a higher level of ammonia you will be able to add more fish at once. Go to Dr Tim's website and read about it.

Ultimately this is a very bad idea. As you would not likely even get all healthy fish that will even live or have no disease. So to think you'll be able to successfully fully stock your tank all at once, is really unrealistic.
Tanks is already cycled and has corals / inverts .
You could always buy $100 fish [emoji23]
I wish ... lol

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's actually quite doable. It's something I've done for a long time to save on shipping. Back then live aquaria's free shipping was much higher than $99.

Compared to traditional methods where you slowly stocked fish to slowly build your bacterial load to match what you have in your system, you over shoot your bacterial load by using an ammonia source and let it come down to match whats in the system.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James
See my thread we kicked up about microbiology it’s right next to this one

You don’t need to assist bac **if your tank has completed cycling and met underwater time requirements* which it seems to have met based on descrip

Let’s see pics of aged rocks

Your tank can handle the fish and it doesn’t add more bac to surfaces to add ammonia, hydrated surfaces carry the max bac loading if they’ve been underwater long enough. dosing ammonia temporarily boons bacteria but they go quickly back to the levels their vital space, surface area, allows for colonization...they don’t bulk up and keep the bac. Conversely, and usefully, adding more surface area to your tank always results in more filter bac even if you don’t add any ammonia or food at all.

No quarantine no fallow is the risk here, disease, not inability to prevent free ammonia after adding fish.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
James

Your thread here is now linked to that one as a case study.

The amount of rocks you have and the sand is enough to handle those fish because the surfaces were hydrated. They don’t need you to add anything else

You never ever ever have to boost or worry about bac not carrying a bioload, unless you are dealing with an empty ten gallon tank with no surface area in place.

If you are not surface area limited, you’ll never push your bioload where free ammonia results. And if you are surface area limited, adding ammonia will never compensate.

Forty pounds of hydrated bioload, can handle those fish unless the tank is using surfaces that weren’t aged but you said rock was a year underwater

Last edited:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Your thread here is now linked to that one as a case study."

I don't see the link, I would like to check it out

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would setting up a new tank with 20% live rock help with large initial bio load? And how long would you need to wait?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand rinse thread, big time application work:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-official-sand-rinse-thread-aka-one-against-many.230281/page-12

Adding ammonia to help bac isn’t harmful, they’ll eat it up. It’s algae fueling and cyano fueling I’m trying to head off... losing the fish to crypto is a big risk from what I gather reading fish quarantine threads.

The stuff above about the system being ready isn't just to nitpick points, it's my opinion that ideal reefing never hesitates

bac behave the same here as they do for each tank in the sand rinse thread, reliable, always predictable. That changes reefing into something that's fully under our control vs us awaiting to see what the tank decides to do

deliberate/ reliable /known actions are the swing vote for invasions, emergency moves and upgrades and transfers and cleaning and error correction. Knowing when we can trust bacteria to work independently of our offerings (as they've always done) makes your reefing stronger not weaker.

James listed a year submerged rocks, that's all we need...the five fish they used to run are incidental per my claims which most do not agree with. The masses are concerned about bacteria needing to be matched to an ammonia loading, the 1% are only concerned with the submersion time and that approach prevents tank loss in threads where we do insane things to people's sandbeds. Even though we don't have James' tank pics to see rock ratios, I've never seen a single post in reefing where such minimal live rock was used that five fish couldn't be handled. The whole sandbed thread is predicated on that bet. My lfs keeps twenty clownfish for sale in a tank with only a sandbed and no rock.

these fish need to be qt and then only placed into a fallow receiving tank.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back