How do I position my pumps in a way so that a lot of the water is pushed towards my overflow?

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the regular powerheads and 1 gyre in a 55 gallon Cube tank. one of the pumps is hiding in the bottom right side behind a rock.

I am having a massive dino outbreak and I'm blowing as much as I can off my rockwork and into my overflow.

I have a fleece roller in the tank so im not worried about it breaking down in the sump.

image0 (9).jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have 2 of the regular powerheads and 1 gyre in a 55 gallon Cube tank. one of the pumps is hiding in the bottom right side behind a rock.

I am having a massive dino outbreak and I'm blowing as much as I can off my rockwork and into my overflow.

I have a fleece roller in the tank so im not worried about it breaking down in the sump.

image0 (9).jpeg
Can you post closer pics under white lighting ?
Directing flow will break the surface but not really force water into an overflow. If it is going to overflow at slow pace, your piping may not be wide enough as it should be rushing downstream and can be regulated with a shutoff or ball valve.
I see in pic what looks like cyano, heavy hair algae . . . both supported by elevated phosphate and nitrate.
What is your phos and nitrate readings and what test kits are you using?
Is tank at or near a window?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet with conditioner ?

OP
OP
leonardomanzano

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post closer pics under white lighting ?
Directing flow will break the surface but not really force water into an overflow. If it is going to overflow at slow pace, your piping may not be wide enough as it should be rushing downstream and can be regulated with a shutoff or ball valve.
I see in pic what looks like cyano, heavy hair algae . . . both supported by elevated phosphate and nitrate.
What is your phos and nitrate readings and what test kits are you using?
Is tank at or near a window?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet with conditioner ?
My nitrates and phosphates are bottomed out, 0ppm.
I just dosed my nitrates up to 5ppm today, I dosed 20ppm yesterday but when I tested them today my nitrates were back at 0ppm. I test with both salifert and API (nitrate) and hannah for phosphates.

I run a large refugium and algae scrubber running on the opposite lighting schedule.

where are you seeing cyano? are you referring to the red/pinkish clumps at the bottom? if so that is coralline algae.
The tank is near a window, but my shades are always closed as I work night shifts.
I am using RODI water.

as for overflow pace, I believe it's going at a moderately fast speed 800GPH

Attachments

• image4 (1).jpeg
    image4 (1).jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image3 (2).jpeg
    image3 (2).jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 14
  • image0 (10).jpeg
    image0 (10).jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 16

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image0 (9).jpeg
Positioning the powerheads is going to take trial and error on your part. If you want to remove suspended material from the display quickly, you can add an internal power filter for a short time. Marineland Magnums are good or you could go DIY with a maxijet and a soda bottle...

OP
OP
leonardomanzano

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Positioning the powerheads is going to take trial and error on your part. If you want to remove suspended material from the display quickly, you can add an internal power filter for a short time. Marineland Magnums are good or you could go DIY with a maxijet and a soda bottle...
an internal filer is an excellent idea! I'll give that a try!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 57 42.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 66 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.9%
Back