Berghia Nudibranchs: My Experience

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I wanted to share my experience I have had with Berghia Nudibranchs.

So my tank has had an aiptasia infestation since its beginning about a year ago. It got so bad to the point where the entire backside of my rockwork was a reddish velvet texture, an entire lawn of aiptasia. There were some that were absolutely massive, like 2.5” in diameter and terrifying to look at. You'd see little baby aiptasia floating around the tank waiting to latch onto the rockwork.

Anyway, I decided to skip the chemical options for alleviation all together. I wanted a natural solution. I decided to avoid peppermint shrimp, filefish, and copperbands because of the coral eating issue. So I went with a dozen Berghia Nudibranch. I had seen success and not-success stories with these guys. I figured they were worth the gamble.

I purchased 12 1/4” specimens off of Salty Underground. This set me back $140. Quite frankly, when they arrived I felt remorse for how much money I had spent on these little fruit fly sized creatures. I added them into the tank using their instructions.

About 2 months went by and I had really been kicking myself for buying those expensive Nudibranch because the aiptasia population simply just kept growing.

I began to sell off my coral and mentally prepare to exit the hobby for a while because I just couldn’t really deal with another tank which I am battling more pests. My previous tanks all fell victim to dinos, planaria, etc. until I ultimately “upgraded” tanks.

This morning, 3 months after the addition of the nudibranchs, I realized something. Every single aiptasia in the tank was gone. I could not locate a single aiptasia. Literally gone completely. The back of my rocks are clean. There is none on the overflow like there always was. The sump is totally clear. I cannot even find evidence of them. Even the really upsetting ones that would plant themselves in my monti caps and bleach little spots were all gone.

Perhaps I did not realize this since I was so disconnected from the tank lately? Regardless, Berghia Nudibranch do work. But it takes a pretty long time for them to really make a noticeable difference.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So my tank has had an aiptasia infestation since its beginning about a year ago. It got so bad to the point where the entire backside of my rockwork was a reddish velvet texture, an entire lawn of aiptasia. There were some that were absolutely massive, like 2.5” in diameter and terrifying to look at. You'd see little baby aiptasia floating around the tank waiting to latch onto the rockwork.

Anyway, I decided to skip the chemical options for alleviation all together. I wanted a natural solution. I decided to avoid peppermint shrimp, filefish, and copperbands because of the coral eating issue. So I went with a dozen Berghia Nudibranch. I had seen success and not-success stories with these guys. I figured they were worth the gamble.

I purchased 12 1/4” specimens off of Salty Underground. This set me back $140. Quite frankly, when they arrived I felt remorse for how much money I had spent on these little fruit fly sized creatures. I added them into the tank using their instructions.

About 2 months went by and I had really been kicking myself for buying those expensive Nudibranch because the aiptasia population simply just kept growing.

I began to sell off my coral and mentally prepare to exit the hobby for a while because I just couldn’t really deal with another tank which I am battling more pests. My previous tanks all fell victim to dinos, planaria, etc. until I ultimately “upgraded” tanks.

This morning, 3 months after the addition of the nudibranchs, I realized something. Every single aiptasia in the tank was gone. I could not locate a single aiptasia. Literally gone completely. The back of my rocks are clean. There is none on the overflow like there always was. The sump is totally clear. I cannot even find evidence of them. Even the really upsetting ones that would plant themselves in my monti caps and bleach little spots were all gone.

Perhaps I did not realize this since I was so disconnected from the tank lately? Regardless, Berghia Nudibranch do work. But it takes a pretty long time for them to really make a noticeable difference.
Can you touch me with your lucky hand please

William Bruckmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

It is not the berghia you buy that wipes out an infestation, but their hundreds of offspring. Anyone I sell them to I tell "don't give up until 6 months has past". The only way berghia fail is if someone ate them before they could get a colony going.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience but my aiptasia infestation was not nearly as bad as what yours sounds like. I usually just zap a few weekly with F Aiptasia but at some point, i also was getting some on my backwall in areas that i wouldn't notice until i had 10 or 20 crop up and couldn't take it anymore. I added 10 .25 inch and then another 10 .25" from Salty Underground and definitely some time passed before i saw any results. Eventually all aiptasia were gone until, alas, i think they starved to death and now i'm back to zapping the occasional aiptasia ( maybe 2 per week) that crops up. Aiptasia is a plague that simply won't go away permanently unless you take super drastic measures. Be ready if / when they start to make a come back and don't let your tank get so overwhelmed with them and you should be fine.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 110 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back