How do I properly reseal a 250 gallon aquarium

Ty nilsson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently broke down my 250 gallon reef tank pictured anyone know how to properly reseal this aquarium I have black 100% rtv silicone from seachem and take like I have seen in many threads and photos but I am still worried it will leak afterwards any advice would be greatly appreciated! ~Ty

290FD181-ECCC-4EF0-BC57-0E580A25BD21.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good starting point. I've seen umpteen tank videos where they first tape everything off, silicon and then use a proper tool to get a nice bead. There are a ton of videos on YouTube that have other tips as well.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the inner seal looks old in any way , the tank should 100% torn apart (very dangerous) (professional handy folks only) if you want real reliability....

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If by re-sealing, you mean it leaks now?
If that's the case, just adding a new inner seal will not work. I've seen people attempt this many times over the years and I don't remember anyone succeeding. To get a tank that is leaking now, resealed, it should be taken apart completely and rebuilt with all new silicone.
If you are just trying to clean up a crappy looking inner seal for cosmetic reasons , I've done it a couple times. When I did it I didn't completely remove all of the inner seal. IMO too great of a chance to damage the real tank seal.
Just tape it all off and re-apply silicone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ty nilsson

Ty nilsson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched some videos and attempted it and so I started by ripping all the old silicone out then cleaning up with alcohol and taping it up then resealing it it looks really good almost factory looking seals now I just hope it holds water. Guess I’ll find out Sunday

Attachments

• 7F35CE91-6949-4914-8309-7129C1F0861A.jpeg
    7F35CE91-6949-4914-8309-7129C1F0861A.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 117

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
At this volume, I just wouldn't sleep at night.

Get this professionally re-done if glass is in good condition or order a new tank.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have watched some videos and attempted it and so I started by ripping all the old silicone out then cleaning up with alcohol and taping it up then resealing it it looks really good almost factory looking seals now I just hope it holds water. Guess I’ll find out Sunday
Was the tank leaking before?

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t done that large of tank before but have resealed a good number of tanks. It sounds like you are doing it correctly. Clean all the old silicon, I use alcohol to clean any residue, tape and then apply silicone. Once started complete the jobs . I just use my finger to smooth out. You have to work at a decent pace so you don’t get clumps. Then pull tape off right away before it sets.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only silicone that matters is the area between the glass panes. If it wasn't leaking anything you do is cosmetic. If your tank was leaking I would replace it. It takes a lot of patience, the right tools, silicone and jigs to do it right. I'm not saying it can't be done but it's a risk.

If you are just going to put in a new bead around the seams because it was peeling or your scraper hit a few too many times go for it. I would avoid all chemicals. I wouldn't want those contacting the silicone between the panes. Like I mentioned that is the only silicone that matters.

Replacing the bead isn't really a reseal.

Bparrott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the exact same positions with a 150 was leaking in the center of the front pane. I have zero fear of the work it isn’t as bad as some are making it out but I just want be sure and use the correct adhesive as it’s not just regular silicone it’s a non toxic 100% rtv and it’s fairly expensive.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 63.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back