How do I sanitize a QT that had a fish death?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday, I had this happen:

I haven't received much feedback as to possible causes of this. So I am working on the assumption that it was disease and not toxins from dumping 2 cups of crushed coral into the tank.

Now, if this tank was just PVC pieces, sterilizing is easy. But how do I treat the bag of live rock in the sump so that I am sure it is safe to use?

Thanks,
Dom

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic
No odd behavior beforehand? Was the coral or qt exposed to any toxins?
If you want to be super sure, you can bleach everything in the qt and start over. That’s really the only way to be 100% sure you killed everything.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic
No odd behavior beforehand? Was the coral or qt exposed to any toxins?
If you want to be super sure, you can bleach everything in the qt and start over. That’s really the only way to be 100% sure you killed everything.

Well… he ate the second day in QT, but then absolutely no eating.

I was watching him from across the room. Suddenly, he darted around the tank and then there was some flashing.

Minutes later, he was dead. 20 years in the hobby and I’ve never seen anything like this. He was just floating around in the tank current.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well… he ate the second day in QT, but then absolutely no eating.

I was watching him from across the room. Suddenly, he darted around the tank and then there was some flashing.

Minutes later, he was dead. 20 years in the hobby and I’ve never seen anything like this. He was just floating around in the tank current.

You said the crushed coral was "wet", could it have gotten contaminated with something, was it sealed in a bag for some time?

I've had only a few fish "die right before my eyes" it is pretty rare without seeing some other symptoms beforehand. Shock can happen, maybe there was just too much stress from adding the crushed coral?

Jay

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at that not eating as a sign of something. It’s not uncommon for puffers to come in with internal parasites (at least in fw puffers) which can definitely lead to issues of left untreated.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said the crushed coral was "wet", could it have gotten contaminated with something, was it sealed in a bag for some time?

I've had only a few fish "die right before my eyes" it is pretty rare without seeing some other symptoms beforehand. Shock can happen, maybe there was just too much stress from adding the crushed coral?

Jay

Yes, I agree. The addition of the crushed coral with death coming two hours is a damning coincidence.

You often hear stories of people stirring their substrate and then fish dying after the toxins trapped in the substrate are released. I think it may be something along these lines.

To answer your question, yes, the crushed coral was stored wet in a bag. It was stupid of me not to rinse, but, I didn't think the quantity of crushed coral added to the tank would contain enough of anything to be detrimental.

Question: How do I treat the live rock in the sump to be sure it is safe to use in another tank?

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at that not eating as a sign of something. It’s not uncommon for puffers to come in with internal parasites (at least in fw puffers) which can definitely lead to issues of left untreated.

Agreed.

I can't ignore the fact that it wasn't eating with the exception of a small amount on day 2 in QT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I agree. The addition of the crushed coral with death coming two hours is a damning coincidence.

You often hear stories of people stirring their substrate and then fish dying after the toxins trapped in the substrate are released. I think it may be something along these lines.

To answer your question, yes, the crushed coral was stored wet in a bag. It was stupid of me not to rinse, but, I didn't think the quantity of crushed coral added to the tank would contain enough of anything to be detrimental.

Question: How do I treat the live rock in the sump to be sure it is safe to use in another tank?

The safest way to deal with the live rock (and still keep it active) is to leave it in a fishless system for 45 to 60 days.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back