How do torch corals grow ?

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought that the heads would pinch until a split , but I have all these polyps on the branch of my torch and it’s not aptasia or any pest, more polyps have always appeared throughout the weeks, I always thought only the top half of torch corals were the live part and the stalk was just structure and never had any life to them. It makes me wonder if a completely dead head of a torch can grow back. Don’t mind the stuff that looks like detritus lol I had an accidental overdose of a bacterial additive I’m getting it under control. Check this out....
9DCE0EF5-8B42-45E7-B0EE-9EED62EF43D6.jpeg
83407BAA-2B42-4AAD-A863-68B5DF881A76.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t anemones inverts ? I doubt it would have survived a dip and they haven’t moved /extended for light it’s kinda tucked under the one live head..
Yes anemones are inverts. So are corals. Pest anemones survive nuclear war. Dipping won’t kill them. But to add if you think it’s a new torch head, no torch don’t grow new crowns like that.

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aren’t anemones inverts ? I doubt it would have survived a dip and they haven’t moved /extended for light it’s kinda tucked under the one live head..

Anemones will absolutely survive a dip. I'm not sure where the myth about not dipping an anemone for pests started because they would die, because it's just that, a myth. And yes, I have done this (the first was on accident) in Bayer, CoralRX and Expel.

Budding can happen with torches, but I've only seen that occur on the fleshy part that covers the skeleton, never from the actual calcified skeleton itself. Is the polyp actually emerging from the skeleton or just on the surface?

They can also expel the entire polyp from the skeleton and land somewhere to try to grow back a skeleton again.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to be an enabler or anything but.. my frogspawn did sprout new "buds" that looks kinda like what you have at the base, but only where there was still flesh covering the skeleton.

maybe give them a pole and see if they retract into a skeleton.

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones will absolutely survive a dip. I'm not sure where the myth about not dipping an anemone for pests started because they would die, because it's just that, a myth. And yes, I have done this (the first was on accident) in Bayer, CoralRX and Expel.

Budding can happen with torches, but I've only seen that occur on the fleshy part that covers the skeleton, never from the actual calcified skeleton itself. Is the polyp actually emerging from the skeleton or just on the surface?

They can also expel the entire polyp from the skeleton and land somewhere to try to grow back a skeleton again.
It’s coming from the skeleton not laying on top, when I touched them they retracted completely

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of polyps/ buds , I don’t think so many pest anemone would appear at one time in such a small area

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice the bulbed tips? Totally looks like an anemone. I’ve had countless frags with things like this. You’ll see they grow fast, growing a long stalk then you’ll have 2, then 4. Then you’ll be going ballistic trying to contain them. This is a pic of a majano from google.
414F5F0B-777C-434C-B96A-9383E6BECEB0.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of polyps/ buds , I don’t think so many pest anemone would appear at one time in such a small area
I have never seen a torch grow that many crowns on a small fragged head before. Torch just don’t grow like that on the sides of the skeleton. They can drop buds and I’ve had torch do this before but they won’t stick to the skeleton like that. And pest anemones are called a pest for a reason: they can multiply in a day. If you irritate them, they can release spores and you have a whole new problem on your hands.

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice the bulbed tips? Totally looks like an anemone. I’ve had countless frags with things like this. You’ll see they grow fast, growing a long stalk then you’ll have 2, then 4. Then you’ll be going ballistic trying to contain them. This is a pic of a majano from google.
414F5F0B-777C-434C-B96A-9383E6BECEB0.jpeg
13B67EAF-F0A6-42F1-B3D4-2F9AA971100A.jpeg

they don’t have the long body of the anemone though and it’s a bit more uniform in shape than the anemone

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a torch grow that many crowns on a small fragged head before. Torch just don’t grow like that on the sides of the skeleton. They can drop buds and I’ve had torch do this before but they won’t stick to the skeleton like that. And pest anemones are called a pest for a reason: they can multiply in a day. If you irritate them, they can release spores and you have a whole new problem on your hands.
You made a good point there!! , you said “pest” which would mean it would affect the whole tank , this is the only coral like this and I have plenty of space in the 150 for them to multiply

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13B67EAF-F0A6-42F1-B3D4-2F9AA971100A.jpeg

they don’t have the long body of the anemone though and it’s a bit more uniform in shape than the anemone
Anemones don’t have to have long bodies. But if you want to think it’s a bunch torch heads, ok.

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones don’t have to have long bodies. But if you want to think it’s a bunch torch heads, ok.
So you are convinced it’s a pest anemone and nothing else? Cause this is the only place in the tank they have appeared

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk I don’t think it’s a pest anemone ,check this picture out guys.....
E6142FC4-5EFE-46A3-9E26-262E1B76C630.jpeg
D37287D0-492B-426F-A6F2-AE5C211C58EE.jpeg
Interesting. It may have budded. Puts it more into perspective. They may detach and blow away or continue to grow. IME, they always detached and blew away. I even tried glueing them with no success.

OP
OP
Purpletang92

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. It may have budded. Puts it more into perspective. They may detach and blow away or continue to grow. IME, they always detached and blew away. I even tried glueing them with no success.
I knew I was on to something lol that’s just one side the other side is filled also. They just started showing up, none of them were there when I first received the frag.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back