How do you feed your calcium reactor?

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am currently feeding my calcium reactor via gravity. I was thinking about getting a pump to use for feeding it instead but I can justify spending the money on a kamoer pump.... Is it really worth the money? I tried the older non wifi version and couldn't get to flow consistently and quickly took it off. Was also thinking about using its own feed pump, only downside I am having with gravity is having to restart it when the power goes out which is not too often.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed off of my manifold and use a kamoer to pull from the reactor. I debated getting a kamoer because of the price but my readings have never been more stable after using it. I love it.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is pressure run. I put a ball valve inline to create back pressure, and to regulate flow through the reactor. I use that pressure to force the effluent out an airline hose and control it with a micro ball valve. At least every few days I have to manually adjust it. Something crusts the micro ball valve and I have to adjust. I am seriously considering a Kamoer for consistency. But I have to convince my wife that I NEED to spend that kind of money.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of folks who successfully run a CaRx off a pump manifold. I personally prefer a continuous duty peri pump. Bought a MasterFlex years ago and never looked back. Depending on the size of the tank, the ETM versa may be an option also.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me a while to get the kamoer but now I don’t know what took me so long. In my opinion, well worth the money.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use a Tom pump which has delivered well and is super quiet

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are plenty of folks who successfully run a CaRx off a pump manifold. I personally prefer a continuous duty peri pump. Bought a MasterFlex years ago and never looked back. Depending on the size of the tank, the ETM versa may be an option also.

I have been thinking about that as an option as well but read about numerous complaints about the noise at higher speeds and this is for a 240g system so that is something that is in the back of my mind.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running your reactor old school (pH control with effluent drip) or new wave (C02 rate tuned to effluent kH and effluent stream)?

Were you having the pump pull water through the reactor or push?

A Peri pump is about the most consistent flow producing pump available bc each rotation gives exactly the same amount of flow through a wide range of pressures.

Sounds to me like you got a bad pump or tubeset.

I ran gravity then aqualifter on my old rig and it was fine for a drip effluent setup but I had to deal with clogged valves and tubing.

I run a masterflex ony current setup and it's night And day how easy it is to tune and how infrequently I have to adjust vs before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you running your reactor old school (pH control with effluent drip) or new wave (C02 rate tuned to effluent kH and effluent stream)?

Were you having the pump pull water through the reactor or push?

A Peri pump is about the most consistent flow producing pump available bc each rotation gives exactly the same amount of flow through a wide range of pressures.

Sounds to me like you got a bad pump or tubeset.

I ran gravity then aqualifter on my old rig and it was fine for a drip effluent setup but I had to deal with clogged valves and tubing.

I run a masterflex ony current setup and it's night And day how easy it is to tune and how infrequently I have to adjust vs before.

With the kamoer I borrowed I tried to push and pull and had same problem with either method. I am doing the method of controlling the reactor with a ph controller and having a steady stream. Not really sure how about this new way you're talking about.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the kamoer I borrowed I tried to push and pull and had same problem with either method. I am doing the method of controlling the reactor with a ph controller and having a steady stream. Not really sure how about this new way you're talking about.
That is the new way. Old school, count bubbles and effluent, super simple and no ph meter or controller
I have a masterflex sitting in the garage.
I bought and run a Tunze carx. It runs off the resurculation pump.
If I ran another style I would use the masterflex or similar as they are the most consistant.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to save money, then get a cheap flow pump like a MaxiJet 1200/900 or a QuietOne 1200. A main line T also works well too.

If you want good peri and need to save money, then search around for Kangaroo 224 or 324. You will find some old threads and might have to solder a single wire, but these are every bit the reliable workhorse that MasterFlex is, just not a ready-to-go and need some work. I know a few dudes who modified these in the early 2000s and they are still running today. I have two in the closet and am just to lazy to get new tubing for them, but I will never get rid of them.

BTW - new CaRx document in my signature if anybody wants to check it for errors and send me a PM. Took a pandemic for me to write some stuff down.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm switching from my Kamoer to the Versa once they get them back in stock (which should be any day). The Kamoer (non-wifi) is one speed all the time. Set at 80ml/min, my alk rises in the am, and falls slightly in the pm. What i'll be doing is programming the versa for a faster flow in the AM (less effluent alk to match less demand in the AM) and then a second program in the pm with about 50ml/min to increase contact time and thus, match my PM alk demands. That should smooth out the Trident alk graphs with less than a .10 change all day.

OP
OP
ChrisQ0904

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I finally did it. After most of your replies I just decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. Thank you for helping me out.

20200606_171200.jpg

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a normal Sicce right now but will eventually switch to a peristaltic.
Do you use a needle valve on the effluent line? I’m feeding with a sicce 0.5, and my flow keeps slowing. I thing stuff keeps clogging the needle valve?

I'm switching from my Kamoer to the Versa once they get them back in stock (which should be any day). The Kamoer (non-wifi) is one speed all the time. Set at 80ml/min, my alk rises in the am, and falls slightly in the pm. What i'll be doing is programming the versa for a faster flow in the AM (less effluent alk to match less demand in the AM) and then a second program in the pm with about 50ml/min to increase contact time and thus, match my PM alk demands. That should smooth out the Trident alk graphs with less than a .10 change all day.

Besides smoothing your graph, Is there a real benefit to your tank to doing this?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back