How do you ground your RODI?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you are married with a very high insurance policy??? :D Never been shocked by my water also... this is so odd.
Lol.

3b1.jpg

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.shimadzu.com/an/service...port/analysis-basics/lib/lctalk/14/14lab.html

Flowing fluids can create static electricity in the proper conditions.

I would put a titanium ground probe in the container.

I played with a Van De Graaff generator as a kid. A little motor turned a rubber band between 2 wheels. A copper wiper touched the rubber band. The rubber band would collect electrons and carry them along to an aluminum dome that sat on the top where they collected. It would shock you about once every 5 seconds or so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.shimadzu.com/an/service...port/analysis-basics/lib/lctalk/14/14lab.html

I played with a Van De Graaff generator as a kid. A little motor turned a rubber band between 2 wheels. A copper wiper touched the rubber band. The rubber band would collect electrons and carry them along to an aluminum dome that sat on the top where they collected. It would shock you about once every 5 seconds or so.
Titanium. hadn't thought of that thank you!

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also tried putting the water tube further out so it's not running down the side of the barrel... hopefully that will help. I think a lot of you hit the nail on the head. I deal with the fish in me leisure time, so I am definitely not wearing shoes... might need to start XD

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think shoes will help with a static discharge.
it would depend on the shoes and the voltage. for example the static dissipating shoes I use would probably make the problem worse since their whole job is to keep me at least relatively grounded. static insulating shoes however would prevent me from grounding the static, so at that point I'm getting shocked not by the whole charge but by a factor of the difference between my charge and the waters charge. I do not however have a Coulomb Meter at home, so really its just a "if I get shocked it will be less shocked" kind of thing

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would depend on the shoes and the voltage. for example the static dissipating shoes I use would probably make the problem worse since their whole job is to keep me at least relatively grounded. static insulating shoes however would prevent me from grounding the static, so at that point I'm getting shocked not by the whole charge but by a factor of the difference between my charge and the waters charge. I do not however have a Coulomb Meter at home, so really its just a "if I get shocked it will be less shocked" kind of thing
Nice write up, the electricity theory has never been properly grounded in my head. I think I’m too short to comprehend it. :)
Thanks for posting the explanation, just in case I ever come across another occasion.
I’ve been exposed to the theory in a real world discharge.
I think old two wire electric systems would use the metal water pipes as a grounding rod?
The “occasional“ shock issue that I saw had current leaking from a submerged pump in one tank in a store system. Staff were getting occasional shocks, and I never could understand why sometimes a tank would bite, but not continuously? We isolated and removed the current source and grounded the tanks to avoid further exposure.
Your static discharge experience is greatly appreciated! Thanks again for posting and discussing e theory. Very helpful.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up, the electricity theory has never been properly grounded in my head. I think I’m too short to comprehend it. :)
Thanks for posting the explanation, just in case I ever come across another occasion.
I’ve been exposed to the theory in a real world discharge.
I think old two wire electric systems would use the metal water pipes as a grounding rod?
The “occasional“ shock issue that I saw had current leaking from a submerged pump in one tank in a store system. Staff were getting occasional shocks, and I never could understand why sometimes a tank would bite, but not continuously? We isolated and removed the current source and grounded the tanks to avoid further exposure.
Your static discharge experience is greatly appreciated! Thanks again for posting and discussing e theory. Very helpful.
I can't say for sure since I'm not an electrician, but my guess is early three wire grounded out to water pipes, as I do know that 2 wire is not grounded at all. the third prong is ground. it may also not be old 3 wire, its possible they still do it like that, since your water line is technically tied to earth ground. in most cases its fine, because in most cases you should not have a charge on the ground wire. in fact that's the whole principle of GFIC plugs. if current is detected on the ground wire it disconnects because it should not be there. my guess is this shock is more like rubbing your socks across the carpet and touching a door knob. just replace carpet with plastic bucket and your socks with RODI water XD. I'm glad you enjoyed my post.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Put a Titanium backpacking spoon connected to a wire in the bucket and grounded it out. no more shocks, thank you for the idea!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back