How do you keep your ATO reservoir clean?

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! As the thread states - how do you keep yours clean?

My 20 gallon bottle develops a really unhealthy-feeling slime after a week maximum and cleaning it out is pretty difficult!

OP
OP
MrMreef

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Jug does currently sit on the floor rather than in the cabinet (wiring is on the todo list) - it’s not in the sun but maybe the light is encouraging photosynthetic organisms?

image.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would store in the dark, if possible and see if that helps. I'd also clean out the reservoir with bleach to get it nice and sterile.

OP
OP
MrMreef

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would store in the dark, if possible and see if that helps. I'd also clean out the reservoir with bleach to get it nice and sterile.
Great advice - thanks for the heads up!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is strange also. Think any slime would need some nutrient bacteria etc. especially if closed off. I can see an open bottle getting air particles. Hmmmm

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two tanks. One under the stand and one out in the open. The one in the open gets a slime which is probably from exposure to the open air. The tank under my stand does not really get any at all

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine did get slime as well, it's the innovative marine 15 gal so things could get in possibly since the back portion is open. I cleaned it out vinegar every couple months

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 gallon ATO reservoir under the stand and I've cleaned it once in the last 5 years.....and I couldn't find anything to clean then.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a banshee 10 gallon ATO reservoir and the sides and top are blacked out to prevent light from getting in leading to algae. Perhaps your container on the outside needs some cover to restrict light so bacteria does not form inside?

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the inside of your stand and how your sump is setup, but is it possible that you are getting a siphon from your sump?

The ATO seems to be sitting below the sump which could cause some backflow, basically depositing dirty salt water inside your ATO....just a thought.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old LfS I ran our open top ro bins developed a slime and a slight fishy smell. I’m guessing the water is pulling stuff from the air and allowing growth. Sealed containers even moderately sealed never had this issue.
My current tank I use a Cereal container that holds over a gallon but is air tight except for the tiny .5mm hole I made to prevent a vacuum during topoff. No slime in that container either

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%

Back