How do you keep your ATO reservoir clean?

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 21, 2021
Messages
94
Reaction score
88
Location
Munich
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! As the thread states - how do you keep yours clean?

My 20 gallon bottle develops a really unhealthy-feeling slime after a week maximum and cleaning it out is pretty difficult!
 
My Jug does currently sit on the floor rather than in the cabinet (wiring is on the todo list) - it’s not in the sun but maybe the light is encouraging photosynthetic organisms?

image.jpg
 
Yeah I would store in the dark, if possible and see if that helps. I'd also clean out the reservoir with bleach to get it nice and sterile.
 
Yeah I would store in the dark, if possible and see if that helps. I'd also clean out the reservoir with bleach to get it nice and sterile.
Great advice - thanks for the heads up!
 
That is strange also. Think any slime would need some nutrient bacteria etc. especially if closed off. I can see an open bottle getting air particles. Hmmmm
 
I use two tanks. One under the stand and one out in the open. The one in the open gets a slime which is probably from exposure to the open air. The tank under my stand does not really get any at all
 
Mine did get slime as well, it's the innovative marine 15 gal so things could get in possibly since the back portion is open. I cleaned it out vinegar every couple months
 
I have a 16 gallon ATO reservoir under the stand and I've cleaned it once in the last 5 years.....and I couldn't find anything to clean then.
 
I use a banshee 10 gallon ATO reservoir and the sides and top are blacked out to prevent light from getting in leading to algae. Perhaps your container on the outside needs some cover to restrict light so bacteria does not form inside?
 
I can't see the inside of your stand and how your sump is setup, but is it possible that you are getting a siphon from your sump?

The ATO seems to be sitting below the sump which could cause some backflow, basically depositing dirty salt water inside your ATO....just a thought.
 
how do you keep yours clean?
How do you get yours dirty? Mine is 6 or 7 years old and still like new. But I think what you are looking for is keeping it in the dark.
 
Old LfS I ran our open top ro bins developed a slime and a slight fishy smell. I’m guessing the water is pulling stuff from the air and allowing growth. Sealed containers even moderately sealed never had this issue.
My current tank I use a Cereal container that holds over a gallon but is air tight except for the tiny .5mm hole I made to prevent a vacuum during topoff. No slime in that container either
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new